• Advertisement

cub cadet drive belt

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

cub cadet drive belt

Postby gordy49 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:57 pm

hello I have a cub cadet 2135 hydrostatic .year 1997. when i engauge the pto the drive belt keeps coming off. it is a new belt.some time it will stay on but most of the time it comes off. gordy thanks for advice
gordy49

Advertisement

Re: cub cadet drive belt

Postby StarTech » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Have you checked for bad bearings in the double stack pulley? It also could one of the other bearings hanging too. Normally these mowers don't throw the 5/8 PTO drive belt.
StarTech

Postby Fulltilt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am

gordy49 wrote:hello I have a cub cadet 2135 hydrostatic .year 1997. when i engauge the pto the drive belt keeps coming off. it is a new belt.some time it will stay on but most of the time it comes off. gordy thanks for advice

Sounds like you either installed it wrong, or it's the wrong sized belt. Double check the belt diagram ( should be on the deck) and or part number. All the keepers in place?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby StarTech » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 am

Simple mule drive belt setup using a 112.4" B sec (5/8") belt. No keepers; just spring loaded. And the blade belt is 59" A sec (1/2").
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:38 am

Starfire1 wrote:. No keepers; .
Wrong. There is one , or should be one , and they are *SO* often overlooked when installing the belt, the belt frequently gets installed *over* the keeper (it wraps over the right hand side pulley underneath, hard to see if you dont know it is there) so it is either missing, or bent or broken (lucky belt throws off then because belt would shred if it didn't)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am

On the deck or where? I must over looking on the diagrams and I don't remember ever seeing one on these.

Not questioning if you're right or wrong , just trying to get things straight in my head now too. Of course some things are automatically done after 30 years. I got one coming in a couple weeks from now that is if the guy is truthful.
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:12 am

Starfire1 wrote:On the deck or where? I must over looking on the diagrams and I don't remember ever seeing one on these.

Not questioning if you're right or wrong , just trying to get things straight in my head now too. Of course some things are automatically done after 30 years. I got one coming in a couple weeks from now that is if the guy is truthful.

On the front mule drive pulleys right side (from operator seat) there's a wire belt guide that is fastened to the through bolt and right angles to over the right side pulley - if people are not paying attention they usually put the belt on the pulleys and belt cinches the guide to pulley - first time PTO is engaged, the guide bends and flips off to one side then often rubs on the belt and shreds it or causes it to throw off frequently. They can break away too and/or be removed or go missing and then you have a belt that jumps out of that mule drive pulley.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Then that where my problem is as I never seen one on those. I looked the IPL it doesn't indicate any guides nor does the service manual. I assume it is just like the JD 757 mule drive that I just put a new PTO clutch on.
StarTech

Return to Technical Discussion Forum