• Advertisement

Kohler 12HP replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Kohler 12HP replacement

Postby Fulltilt » Thu May 18, 2017 8:26 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Fulltilt wrote:It may help you to get a Cub Cadet wiring diagram, as the harness plugs may not match up and may need a little modification. Should be avail on their website, either in the owners manual, or more likely in the parts listing.

MISINFORMATION as to where to find the schematics. Fulltilt you should do your homework instead of just guessing.

Not available in either one. Would be in the service manual for 1330 but would need to contact Cub Cadet as to which one. The manuals I have access to skips the 1330 going from 1320 to 1340.

First off, I'm not the one with the electrical problems, the OP is, so the way I figure it, let him do the homework. Did you not read the should part of my reply??
Of course, for the grammatically challenged, I could see where you confused should with is.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Fulltilt » Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 pm

apalmerjr wrote:Today I went out and took the top cover off the engine, located the kill wire and labeled it, checked the two wires from the charging coils to the regulator and removed all the excess ones. Now I have the same three wire system the other one had plus a ground wire. The fuel line has been run to the carburetor. Just have to hook up the kill wire, not hard as I had already modified the kill to a simple on off switch. This cadet has several wires in the instrument panel unhooked and wrapped around each other so I'm just going to leave them that way, noticed also the the ammeter is unhooked. Doesn't matter much since when I get done mowing I always hook the battery to a float charger anyway.

Problem solved.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby apalmerjr » Fri May 19, 2017 7:27 pm

I finally finished the job and started it up! The "new" engine sounds just like the one I replaced. The hardest part today was bolting the hood back on. (couldn't remember which way the brackets faced). I still haven't replaced the deck because I need to clean it up and sharpen the blades but at least now it runs! Thank you guys for your help!
apalmerjr

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Don't forget to check those spindle bearings. Grease does dry out if nothing else. I redid my Bolens last Fall as the they were getting a little noisy at start-up. When I pull the seals the grease was harden. I know they say they are sealed and never needing greasing but they do unless you like replacing them every few years.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby apalmerjr » Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 pm

I mowed with it yesterday and it ran good but when I activated the blade clutch it was a little noisier than before. I have a feeling it might be my clutch bearings but not sure. I didn't see any way to grease that part of it but I noticed it did get a little quieter the longer I used it.
apalmerjr

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am

It could be but also can one of the other bearings. Those clutch bearing considered sealed bearing but a needle injector can be use with care, slip pass the sealing surface to inject grease. Just be aware that if is a clutch noisy it probably best to replace them if replaceable; if not then a new clutch assembly.

Personally I just seen my very PTO electric clutch to have failed bearings after 6 yrs of working on the lawn mowers. Now I don't as many some folks do as many customers are changing these themselves. It when they rip out the wire that I see them not working. Now I do know of one Cub ZTR that the PTO is stuck on so it fails I will have fun time removing it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum