• Advertisement

Briggs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs

Postby Luffydog » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 pm

49m977 this this on a unit today came in for a oil leak. Looked under it to see where was coming from couldn't really tell so washed it off so could pin point it. Had some lunch and while eating it was sitting on the table. Just so happen to look over and seen a drip. Thought it might have been some water. After lunch went over to it and sure enough the drip was oil. Thought it was a seal and sump gasket leak. Pulled the engine out and started looking closer at the leak. It's been a while but have seen a few come through. After pulling the sump and cleaning it showed up. The sump has cracked right at the oil pump all the way thur to the crank shaft seal and it showing wear on the sump where it is cracked thur. Afraid over time the same thing will happen again. Anybody seen these crack out like this and if so did you just replace the sump or what was your fix. This unit is showing over 300 plus hrs.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:27 am

Only heard of engine that had a similar crack, The customer had the crack welded. He had to buy a second crank seal as the welder nor customer didn't even bother to remove the new seal he installed. I don't know if it is still going or not that was 3 yrs ago and I have moved my shop and my residence since.

I would say being aluminum I could replace it as something hard probably got in the Gerotor of the pump or if a flaw in the casing that to the cracking. I am working on a 44M that dropped a push rod. The steel tip had came off and was floating around in the engine. I don't why it had not got in the pump of this engine as the pump screen was also off but I could have been facing the same issue.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum