• Advertisement

Carburator swaps

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Carburator swaps

Postby jwales » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 am

Not sure if this should be in the general discussion forum instead, but....... I have a number of friends and neighbors that have toro walk behind mowers that I have worked on, with tecumseh and Briggs engines both.

I have noticed that with different models (as you get newer) same engine brand that the hp changes 6.0, 6.25, 6.50, 6.75. I get that.

Sometimes I can find carb part number for one but can't find one for the other(same engine brand). On the outside the carbs look identical and also when putting in kits they appear identical. Does the manufacturer make changes to the carb to increase these hp?

My main interest..... if I had a carb from a Tecumseh 6.25 hp could I swap it to a Tecumseh 6.75 hp???

Thanks all. Have a Happy (and safe) 4th !
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Carburator swaps

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 am

If they are relatively recent modern engines, you aren't talking HP - That's the gross torque numbers and they can be fudged or altered by something as simple as top no load RPM setting but some will have different jets (which are not part of the kit) and others may have some "tweaks" , and still others are perfectly identical and just 'down-labeled" (I.E. a 6.75 Gross Torque with a 6.0 label on it - so they can "upsell" just because the more expensive one has a 6.75 on the label even though the engines are all the same cost)

Take a closer look at the :fine print" under the numbers, you'll find they say "Gross Torque" and not "Horsepower"
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum