• Advertisement

Briggs Pulsa-Jet carb with worn throttle shaft hole

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Pulsa-Jet carb with worn throttle shaft hole

Postby creia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:12 pm

As I believe that most of you already know my son and I refurbish and restore the old Briggs and Tecumseh 1960's and 1970's "Flathead" engines, ranging from 2-8 HP. We currently have a nice complete 1967 Briggs 4 HP project underway, and ran into the dreaded worn throttle shaft hole in the carb casting. :cry: I guess we have been real lucky in the last 8 years as this is our first one. :o The brass throttle shaft is not worn much, however the aluminum casting hole in the carb is worn REAL bad (looks oblong) and engine runs like crap (no surprise), as it is sucking air at the slop between the shaft and the hole :x . I would bet that some previous owner hooked a strong return spring directly unto the throttle plate (maybe for a minibike or go-kart?) which put excessive side pressure on the shaft against the carb casting hole and wore it out. It is my understanding that this is the "death sentence" for this carb as Briggs never made a bushing to repair this with, correct?

Assuming the answer is "yes", does anyone have a decent and complete 1960's -1970's 4-5 HP Pulsa - Jet carb they would like to sell. I dont' mind a dirty carb that needs cleaning and rebuilding, as long as it is complete and the throttle shaft/hole is good. It MUST have the "pull-out" (slide) choke at the rear if the carb as we want it to be period correct for this engine (no "rotary" choke). The 4-5 HP carbs are different than the 3 HP carbs as they have the longer pick -up tube for the deeper fuel tank. If you have something, please contact me directly at michael.moore@charter.net
Thank you,
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Pulsa-Jet carb with worn throttle shaft hole

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Kawasaki don't make bushings either but I trued a choke shaft pass through hole and a had a snug fitting brass bushing made to fit the new enlarge hole. Save a $300 carburetor by doing this on a JD Z925A ZTR. Just had to ream the ID once installed to allow the shaft to turn freely.

Just a thought....

BTW I never seen a choke shaft worn in two in seven yrs until this year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:28 pm

creia wrote:As I believe that most of you already know my son and I refurbish and restore the old Briggs and Tecumseh 1960's and 1970's "Flathead" engines, ranging from 2-8 HP. We currently have a nice complete 1967 Briggs 4 HP project underway, and ran into the dreaded worn throttle shaft hole in the carb casting. :cry: I guess we have been real lucky in the last 8 years as this is our first one. :o The brass throttle shaft is not worn much, however the aluminum casting hole in the carb is worn REAL bad (looks oblong) and engine runs like crap (no surprise), as it is sucking air at the slop between the shaft and the hole :x . I would bet that some previous owner hooked a strong return spring directly unto the throttle plate (maybe for a minibike or go-kart?) which put excessive side pressure on the shaft against the carb casting hole and wore it out. It is my understanding that this is the "death sentence" for this carb as Briggs never made a bushing to repair this with, correct?

Assuming the answer is "yes", does anyone have a decent and complete 1960's -1970's 4-5 HP Pulsa - Jet carb they would like to sell. I dont' mind a dirty carb that needs cleaning and rebuilding, as long as it is complete and the throttle shaft/hole is good. It MUST have the "pull-out" (slide) choke at the rear if the carb as we want it to be period correct for this engine (no "rotary" choke). The 4-5 HP carbs are different than the 3 HP carbs as they have the longer pick -up tube for the deeper fuel tank. If you have something, please contact me directly at michael.moore@charter.net
Thank you,
Michael :)

If you happen to have the shop equipment to get it just right (or a machine shop buddy) you could probably rescue it by reaming the bore just enough to fabricate new bushings...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:08 am

Thank you gents for your replies- much appreciated! :)
I DID think about the bushing idea, however, we do not have the equipment or skills to fabricate one. To pay a professional to do it would be too costly. If it was an expensive carb like what KE4AVB posted I could justify paying a machine shop, but not on this "lawnmower" carb. I am hoping a member might come through (again) with one to sell just like 38racing (Ken) did earlier this year. (Thanks again Ken!) :D I would be willing to bet some of these old Briggs Pulsa-Jet carbs are laying around and collecting dust in members shops?
Michael
Last edited by creia on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:21 am

creia wrote:Thank you gents for your replies- much appreciated! :)
I DID think about the bushing idea, however, we do not have the equipment or skills to fabricate one. To pay a professional to do it would be too costly. If it was an expensive carb like what KE4AVB posted I could justify paying a machine shop, but not on this "lawnmower" carb. I am hoping a member might come through (again) with one to sell just like 38racing (Ken) did earlier this year. :D I would be willing to bet some of these old Briggs Pulsa-Jet carbs are laying around and collecting dust in members shops?
Michael

I'm hoping that the one I sent is not the one that needs the bushing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:50 am

38racing wrote:
creia wrote:Thank you gents for your replies- much appreciated! :)
I DID think about the bushing idea, however, we do not have the equipment or skills to fabricate one. To pay a professional to do it would be too costly. If it was an expensive carb like what KE4AVB posted I could justify paying a machine shop, but not on this "lawnmower" carb. I am hoping a member might come through (again) with one to sell just like 38racing (Ken) did earlier this year. :D I would be willing to bet some of these old Briggs Pulsa-Jet carbs are laying around and collecting dust in members shops?
Michael

I'm hoping that the one I sent is not the one that needs the bushing.

Ken,
No, the carb you sent me is not the same carb. - The one you sold me was REAL nice! :D
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum