• Advertisement

Toro Mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro Mower

Postby lefty » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Model:20017
Serial:230102475

Tecumseh LEV120
Spec 362003A

This was a friend's machine. It had sat outside and hasn't run for quite some time. He went ahead and bought a new machine and gave this to me. I cleaned the carb and diagnosed a primer bulb fault and got it running.

On the less mechanical side, from sitting outside, the engine and flywheel surface have developed a white powdery covering. I'm thinking I should clean it but wanted to ask you pros. If I should clean it, how and what should I use as a solution, if any. Should I just blow off as much as I can and call it a day? photo attached. I plan on keeping this machine for my own personal use as a spare...or maybe to give/lend to a family member, friend or neighbor when needed. It sure is ugly as-is though.

lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Toro Mower

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Thats what the inside of many carburetors look like after sitting with water in the gas for a while - simply put, its "aluminum rust" AKA Oxidation from water reacting with the aluminum. I would say just blow it off best you can, if you have any WD-40 lying around it wouldnt hurt to spray a coat on there but its just simple aluminum oxidation
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Toro Mower

Postby lefty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks BG.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum