• Advertisement

Toro 20332

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro 20332

Postby lefty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Toro 20332 Personal Pace.
Serial: 312025037

Briggs 128M02 3425-B1 11080257

Starts first pull but does not run at full RPM. Not even close. Leak down is good. Cleaned carb (wasn't very dirty). Checked intake manifold for cracks, looks good.

It will throttle up and run great if I manually move the throttle with my finger. Could this be as simple as a weak throttle spring?

This has the vane type auto choke.

Thank you
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Toro 20332

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Not running at full rpm depends. Using a tachometer this engine should have a top no load speed of 2900 +/-100 RPM. If then depending how far off it might be adjusted by tab on the fix speed bracket or the governor spring might be weaken if not both.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:06 am

Sorry for the late reply, just got a chance this morning to get back to it. So I put the tach on it and it was running about 2400. With the machine off and the throttle wide open, there was no tension on the spring. In fact, the spring was quite loose. Tension appeared to begin after the throttle was closed about 10%. I'm not sure what normal is but my intuition tells me there should be tension immediately.

It also looks like someone has adjusted this in the past. There are scuff marks where you would grab to bend the tab on the control bracket. It was bent to about 45 degrees toward the carb, which may be normal but I have no point of reference. I looked at some pics of new brackets on the internet and it looks like they come straight up at 12 o'clock.

So I bent the tank away from the carb a bit to get the RPM up to about 2860. It runs well with just a tiny bit of surging occasionally. I'm guessing the spring is weak since I've done all of the other checks I can think of. Looks like the machine is from 2011. Does anyone think it would be worth getting a new governor spring for this one to level it out? With no tensions on the spring, I can see a bit of light through the coils. Does this mean it's stretched a bit?

Thanks again.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Yes they are loose at idle but if you can easily see light thru the coils I would say has stretch somewhat and won't hurt to replace it as its spring rate has decreased.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:11 am

Just spoke with the owner. Apparently, he had been mowing under a bush and may have ran the machine up in there and a branch may have bent the tang that the governor spring attaches. That's when the machine started running at a lower RPM. Would have been good info to have up front but he's a little older so it took a while for his memory to come around. I probably could have questioned him a little better at the onset. Anyway, just thought I'd add some closure to this post. We'll call this one solved for now.

Thanks for the help.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Tnx for the closure...

You find the customers most times will not give you all the info.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum