• Advertisement

How do you bill for your time?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: How do you bill for your time?

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:34 am

Luffy, No thank you on the trade. I not complaining about what I am paying but as every time they increase my bill I increase my use. Personally I would like it to be back to where it started at but as current customer they like to punish me by me pay for low intro rates they new customers. Not really fair as I am long term customer and should be given a better rate.

I also don't have the additional mobile capabilities as I don't do onsite repairs. My back just won't let me besides I would need a large enclosed trailer for all my tools and parts.

I am down now because of a small 2 cycle edger that I work on Friday; muscle spasms so bad that I am using clutches to get around this morning. At least I got to Thursday to get better as every thing in the shop except for two have parts ordered.

I going to try to cut some grass later with one that I just finishing up on. It was a major pain to get going. It was one thing right after another with it. Boy I did miss on its estimate, having give away a few hours labor on this one. That I get for one that had been sitting for over 2 yrs outdoors. Stuck starter, badly messed up carb, clogged fuel line, bent tie rod, froze up deck, and it still need the fronts tires fixed but the customer want to do them. Repairs would not have been so high if it wasn't a shade tree taking off the electric PTO and engine drive pulley. IF they where still there I could have done a more through job with my estimate.

The other mower that just came in I already see the wiring harness has been hack by another shop. Apparently they don't know how to wire correctly. Scotch tape isn't going to cut it. The owner wants an estimate before repairs but I got to actually repair some the initial problems just give a good estimate. This is why I charge for estimates too as some work has to be done just to get the other unknown problems. I know this one has been sitting for a while as some large wasp nests have been seen.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am

Haven't done much on site this year like have in the past trying to cut back on some bills wear and tear on truck and for the most part hours out of the shop cost as well. Most time these days I just pick them up and del. as I found out most of them can't be fixed on site and have to make other trips out.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 am

Luffydog wrote:Most time these days I just pick them up and del. as I found out most of them can't be fixed on site and have to make other trips out.

Bingo...Even picking them can be problem depending where the customer left them. I even ended up putting an electric winch on my 16' trailer for getting the non runners loaded. I had do it after a couple times that customer the mower left them over septic tanks and didn't want me driving over the field lines or the tank. I still need to get within 25' or use a long chain, then the winch and battery has to be given rest breaks on those extra long pulls. Those ZTRs are some the hardiest to load without it, even the small ones; just not the person I once was. No more carrying heavy wood fence posts on my shoulder to where they need to be.

Most times I ask the customer to bring in the equipment as I do charge for pickup and delivery. Just can't be driving 20-30 miles one way to do it for free. On top that I have to shut down my shop just to do it as I am the only one here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 am

KE4AVB wrote:
Most times I ask the customer to bring in the equipment as I do charge for pickup and delivery. Just can't be driving 20-30 miles one way to do it for free. On top that I have to shut down my shop just to do it as I am the only one here.
Bingo. That and my bad back is the reason I do not even DO pickup and delivery any more . Luckily enough (or maybe not) we have a down-the-road neighbor that does lawn mowing and landscaping on the side that will also do pickup and delivery to our shop for the customer. others have rented u-haul trailers or borrowed a friend's trailer, etc. But in any event I don't do pickup and delivery any longer at all. I am slowly but surely eliminating big heavy stuff from the work order list and getting focus down to the smaller lightweight stuff My back thanks me for it, but my wallet doesn't.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum