• Advertisement

Kohler M-18

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler M-18

Postby dunoon2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Had a call on a kohler that wouldn't start. No spark, checked using a spark tester and nothing. Iolated coil removed kill wire and still nothing. Replaced with new coil, got a spark with a new plug that didn't fit, got right plugs and now no spark with any plug or tester. I've checked the ground on the coil it's good sat the air gap to 6 thou. and nothing. Any suggestion where to look would be most appreciated. Thanks
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Kohler M-18

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Did retry the pug that worked. If now don't work you may a voltage surge taking out the coil from the ignition switch. These coils are intended only to be grounded to kill.

This I personally ran into this year myself on a Briggs opposed engine where the ignition switch was sending 3 volts to the coil's kill ternminal via the kill wire in run position.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dunoon2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:35 am

I'm really thinking it's the coil, I've ordered an OEM this morning
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 am

That the reason checking the kill circuit for voltage surges. It kill the new coil too if there. The electronics the coil are NOT designed to a voltage applied to the kill terminal.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dunoon2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm

I jury rigged the kill switch on this machine a wire from the terminal on the coil goes directly to ground thru a toggle switch. And then I'm checking for a spark, the ground/kill wire is disconnected from the coil.
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum