• Advertisement

using crowfoot to torque tecumseh for valve lash

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

using crowfoot to torque tecumseh for valve lash

Postby 38racing » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm

The manual for the tecumseh vtwin tvt691 says to use a 1/2" crowfoot on the locking nut to torque to 120 in lbs. Problem is my 1/2" crowfoot won't fit in the space to get it on the nut. I guess I could try grinding it down. I can get the open 1/2 wrench on it and tighten to the max I can exert. On one side I can only get the one that's 4 " long on it. I'm thinking that might be tight enough?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: using crowfoot to torque tecumseh for valve lash

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:55 pm

120 inch pounds ain't all that much really. can easily get well over 200 inch pounds just by average hand strength on a 10 inch box wrench. (You can "practice" a bit with ordinary wrench on ordinary bolts and "guess" your torque on some test materials, then check it with a torque wrench to see how much torque it takes to move it further, and develop a feel for torque that way too....You'd be surprised how much more torque you have applied to a screw than you think you have... I still have a particular set of wrenches and ratchets I'll use when I need to get my torque "in range" without using a torque wrench, and be reasonably confident it is pretty close... handy to have that "feel" developed over time when you are dealing with a tight spot or a field repair where you can't have your whole toolbox along...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 pm

You wouldn't be the first to do this. I got several special purpose tools that have be ground for jobs where a standard tool will fit or work as needed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:28 pm

KE4AVB wrote:You wouldn't be the first to do this. I got several special purpose tools that have be ground for jobs where a standard tool will fit or work as needed.

KE4AVB is correct as I am a member of that group, several times- nothing wrong with that at all. I would bet that many of our members are also.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:49 am

Just realized that my issue might be that I only have the flare style crowfoot. A bit annoying though is that my 1/2 opens seem a bit large on the nut but manual says 1/2 and 12 mm won't fit.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum