• Advertisement

Briggss 596038 Fuel Solenoid

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggss 596038 Fuel Solenoid

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:30 am

Couple reasons to not bypass the solenoid .. 1) professionalism (If you can't restore an engine to working order to original specifications, it isn't a particularly professional thing to do) 2) product liability (someone has a backfire that starts a fire in their house, garage, or shed and if they can show it is because the solenoid was bypassed by the shop, the owner of the machine, as well as property owner, has solid case for a lawsuit)

Neither has anything much to do with EPA or emissions cops but plenty to do with product liability, if you are operating as a professional shop and business doing repairs for money, you can be held liable for bad stuff that happens because you bypassed manufacturer's designs (even if it's a crappy design to begin with) In today's Sue-at-the-drop-of-a-hat environment (and some people drop the hats themselves) you're gambling on your livelihood.

But what KE4 was probably referring to was local cops mistaking the backfire for a gunshot and getting trigger-happy. (A Tongue in cheek response, I presume)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Yes it was a comment how over nervous our law enforcement is but I also now very nervous too after that traffic stop. I still don't know what set him off.

I wonder if any one else have seen a foot long flame shot of the exhaust. I had several years ago a Kawasaki engine that was failing to fire on compression/power stroke randomly but when the wasted spark hit the hot fuel in the exhaust it sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun report right behind me. Usually however a regular engine shut down will a much less of a report.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I wonder if any one else have seen a foot long flame shot of the exhaust.
Had one customer (Just buys parts for himself) that bought a new tractor several years ago, after he took someone's advice (not mine -it was a friend of his that "knows about engines" that told him) to clip the solenoid tip off so he wouldnt have to spend the $45 or so on a new solenoid. Reason he had to get a new tractor: parked it in his shed, shut it down and backfire caught his gas can on fire (older metal vented gas can), he just ran thinking the gas can was gonna explode... he had to buy a new shed too since everything burned to the ground before the VFD could get there. Said he was glad he had the shed - he used to park the tractor in his attached garage, so it coulda been worse. He also no longer stores gas cans in the shed, and he lets the tractor cool down outdoors before putting it into the shed.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum