• Advertisement

JD 445 transmission sealant recommendations

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

JD 445 transmission sealant recommendations

Postby Mr Mower Man » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:28 pm

I took the brake arm plate off the transmission of this JD 445 to replace a hardened and leaky o-ring (I think every o-ring in the whole thing is like that), and I need some sealant reapplied to the plate. Any recommendations as to what to use? I could just use the stuff I always use for Hydro-Gear transmissions, but if there's something you JD experts out there would recommend more highly, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: JD 445 transmission sealant recommendations

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:41 am

According to the service manual, the JD service techs are to use TY15130 form a gasket and TY6305 Cure Primer. Most likely they are using Permatex Ultra Grey and Permatex 24163 Surface Prep Activator for Anaerobics, just package in propriety packaging for JD so they can charge more for them. They also use Permatex Blue thread lock (TY9370) on all the cap screws.

I personally use the Surface prep here and it does cleans a lot better, help the sealer to adhere, and cure properly. Before I started using it rocker cover that I sealed, even the surfaces where cleaned, would still not seal properly. Another problem I found was even with the surface prep things needed to cure at least 12-24 hrs after finger tightening the mounting screws after which they are torque to specs. Oils if allowed to touch the sealer before it is fully cured will prevent it from curing properly. To keep from wasting the surface prep apply with a cotton swab. Even surfaces that looks clean will show contaminates on the cotton swab so you need change them out as clean the surface.

The hydraulic oil used is J20D (TY22062).

This is what I use on those hard to seal Kohler Courage single rocker covers. Either the Ultra Grey or Ultra Black as they color match better. I personally use the Ultra Black for engines most times and Ultra Grey for transaxles. A couple weeks I did a Kubota RTV900 HST seal replacement that use the Ultra Grey.

Note: Many of the auto part stores here never heard of the surface prep so I get mine through Amazon.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am

KE4AVB wrote:According to the service manual, the JD service techs are to use TY15130 form a gasket and TY6305 Cure Primer. Most likely they are using Permatex Ultra Grey and Permatex 24163 Surface Prep Activator for Anaerobics, just package in propriety packaging for JD so they can charge more for them.

Thanks!

The TY6305 supersedes to PM37509 and is $16.56/4.5 oz. can. Whereas the Permatex 24163 is $17.64 on Amazon for the same size can. I went ahead and ordered it and the silicone gasket maker (TY15130 supersedes to PM37463) for $3.12. I should have them both later today.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:15 pm

I've been using the Right Stuff on the Courage engines w/ the primer. It's more like the Loctite in the bulletin.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum