• Advertisement

Briggs on Craftsman leaking oil

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs on Craftsman leaking oil

Postby samcarpen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:28 am

Md. 445877, Type 1565G5, Code 130429YG on a Model 917. 288583 rider. Lower pto side seal leaking badly. First time I've replaced a Briggs seal though I've done plenty of Kohlers. Anything I should look out for? Tips and/or suggestions? is there a service manual readily available?
Thanks, Sam
samcarpen

Advertisement

Re: Briggs on Craftsman leaking oil

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 am

The service manual for the V-twin is listed under 05_273521 Twin Cylinder OHV in the >Downloads >Briggs Service Information forum here.

As for the seal replacement clean the crankshaft good like you do for the Kohler. Be carefully not damage the crankshaft journal when removing the seal. Put a little grease on the seal lip to prevent initial lip burn when first starting up the engine. Of if the engine is still mounted drain the oil and don't forget to put the oil back. Been there and done that due to distractions like waiting on customers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby samcarpen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:22 am

Replaced PTO seal and upgraded sump gasket and bolts. Has started leaking again. Original seal was deeply recessed. Per manual, I installed new seal just below surface. Crankshaft end play is 1/16" which is twice the specifications. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sam Carpenter
samcarpen

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:43 am

It might be advisable to install the PTO seal back the level of the original seal.

The crankshaft really needs shimming but Briggs doesn't list any shims for this engine in the IPL but maybe one of the other techs here knows if any shims are available to fit this crankshaft.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 am

1/16 " is about .060 end play spec is .005-.030 .. maybe a 807625 shim (or two) might work (Vanguard V-twin shims) although not that likely for end play to cause the leak, I'd want a closer look to see where seal was actually leaking at (outer edge or inner lip?) if outer side of seal is what leaks, you could use some loctite plastic gasket (I think #415, off the top of my head) before putting new one in, it helps seal tiny hairline imperfections in surfaces. you also wanna make sure seal sits square in the bore, wherever you locate it at
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:14 am

Tnx for shim set PN BGS.

As for if leaking outer seal area, also check for hairline crack in the PTO end cover plate. I had a customer about 6 yrs ago that thought it was the PTO seal to only fine a crack in the cover.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:24 pm

When I had a tecumseh vtwin bottom seal leak I found a lot of side play in the shaft. Had significant wear in the sump bearing. First replacement cover candidate had exact same wear. Found a good sump on ebay. Then the guy has left it unused for a couple of years because he had bought a new mower.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum