• Advertisement

K241

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

K241

Postby bobodu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Okay guys...bout every ten years I get one of these stumpers.
K241 Can't even get a pop. Leakdown pointed to a bad intake. Replaced that. 3/8 inch spark...new plug, points and condenser. Carb cleaner and raw gas down the hole. Covering the carb will leave a hickey on my hand.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: K241

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Cam checked for time, and possibly cracked in half (typically between the lobes) - busted camshaft or cam outta time can knock 'er 180 degrees off since these ain't a waste spark ignition.. have had a couple with cam broke (hard to spot if not used to the K series since cam runs on a through-pin, it's not immediately obvious cam is broke until pin is driven out) In other words, it may throw a nice fat spark, but do it throw it in the right spot?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:46 am

Time to break out the timing light eh?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 am

nothin so elaborate needed.. can just roll engine over til it is under compression stroke, remove spark plug and get it to TDC, make witness marks on flywheel and blower housing, remove point cover, roll engine backwards until points close, at which point your witness marks should be within about 20 degrees of each other... if they ain't then perhaps further investigation needed.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby mr-moe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:24 pm

Those pluggers the open the points sometimes would wear and upset the timing.
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum