• Advertisement

stihl ms 261c troubles

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: stihl ms 261c troubles

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:09 pm

It depends on which MS261C he has but since he has decompression then it is either a C-Q or a C-QZ
(5) MS 261 C-BE, (6) MS 261 C-Q, (7) MS 261 C-Q Z

#6 & #7 uses the 1141 020 1200 PNC with decompression valve hole.
#5 use the 1141 020 1202 PNC without decompression valve hole.`

Plus if he has MS261C-QZ he will have a spark arrester in the muffler. These do clog with carbon causing running problems too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:37 pm

yes it has a spark arrestor.i took it out and it was nice and clean.
plotthound
Guide

Re: Stihl MS 261c-qz troubles

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:20 am

Then it is down to a bad PNC. I had one Stihl here that registered 140 psi compression that would not hit a lick. I check everything I could even swapping a few components. I finally pulled the cylinder and found upper cylinder damage that causing completely lost of compression at the top of the stroke. Very usual to happen but it does apparently at least in one case.

The customer wasn't willing to put a new PNC on it and left it for to parted out. I have a terrible time selling used equipment as the locals think I ought to fix them up and then sell like the yard sale ones way below cost. Now the only time fix a machine other than for a customer is if I need it for my own use or need some self training. At that time and parts are not a total waste as I put the knowledge to good use later.

And I do have some nice saws on hand. The problem is that I no longer cut firewood for my own use or for sell.

BTW the local Stihl would want $210.84 or more for a PNC for the MS261. Most customers are willing to try an after market PNC but not the Stihl PNC. If comes down to the Stihl part most of my customers just opt for a new saw.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:51 am

so here are my options for a rebuild kit.

stens kit= $146.00

meteor= 285.00

hyway= $131.00

the meteor kit is made in Italy and I imagine the other 2 are Chinese made.have you guys had any luck with the cheaper kits?

thanks
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:42 am

I would recommend you join the Arboristsite group as they do a lot chainsaw repairs and mods. They would have a lot experience with the use of aftermarket parts.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/

or check the http://opeforum.com/ group where they have porting among other things to chainsaws.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum