• Advertisement

tecumseh stator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

tecumseh stator

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Came across this video. I've only see a couple tecumseh stators, most recently my vtwin. What's that wire lead he connects to for testing? He says it's 'high tension lead going to solid state ignition' . My recollection is mine had two leads being AC to the regulator.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHi2Uln2amk
Last edited by 38racing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: tecumseh stator

Postby RoyM » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm

No link to your video.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:45 pm

RoyM wrote:No link to your video.

oops
here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHi2Uln2amk
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:40 pm

guy has no friggin clue what he is talking about... is what I think.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:41 am

I agree it seems he is lost on the lead's function as I have yet to ever see any voltage applied to the solid state magnetos.

So Glad that I have only one customer with larger Tecumseh engine. I rarely see a Tecumseh of any kind, most operators here have gotten rid of them by now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:13 am

Just goes toshow, you cannot trust every youtube video you see. Some people make extra money, if not a living, by posting on youtube (ad revenue, etc) and a lot of them are those people that might know just enough to be dangerous, without the actual skills and knowledge to explain how and why something works. I've seen enough of those (Though the automatic captions generated by the speech-to-text thingy leaves much to be desired) where I've just stared in amazement thinking the whole time.. "BOOOLSHEET!"

I could make a living on youtube, but I don't have the voice skills... In fact I could teach classes at the local vo-tech or educational council, and have thought about it, but only thing that stands in my way is my verbal communication skills, what with my being deaf as a brick wall...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby wristpin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:39 pm

Another instant expert of the internet age who have never spent part of their working lives learning how to do things properly!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby grunt » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:25 pm

You have to know how something works, before you can figure out why it don't.
grunt

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am

wristpin wrote:Another instant expert of the internet age who have never spent part of their working lives learning how to do things properly!

grunt wrote:You have to know how something works, before you can figure out why it don't.

I think that the point we are trying to get across here.

Personally since I started working on small engines professionally I have seen a lot DYIer screw ups where they You Tubed a procedure. There are many good videos out there but they are just as many bad ones. Some are just how to Red Neck repair something.

As said you must at least understand how something should work but can start to find out why it don't. Yes these engine are fairly simple but they are still complicated at times. They are not our grandfather's engines anymore. Many of engines I get that DYIer have worked on just had parts thrown at them when it was only a simple adjustment or bad connection that was the problem.

I had fellow a few years ago that had a rider that would not start. He had replaced the starter, the stator, the ignition coil, starter solenoid, and he was wanting a new carburetor even though the engine wasn't even cranking. I manage to talk him into bringing in the riding mower. Believe or not it was a bad wire terminal at the ignition switch. He did think I was kinda stupid though as he wanted me to pay him all of the new parts that he brought from someone else. Sorry I don't do that.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:46 pm

grunt wrote:You have to know how something works, before you can figure out why it don't.

+2
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum