• Advertisement

LTH 2000 service

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

LTH 2000 service

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Just wonder anyone had any luck just reassembling a LTH transaxle without the alignment tool? I finally got one of these in that I need to disassemble so I can repair the disengage shaft as it is frozen in the engaged position.

Don't seem to find of the 670383 tool available for purchase even on eBay.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: LTH 2000 service

Postby bgsengine » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:41 pm

well just read the tecumseh tool catalog description, seems to me one could be fabricated if you know for sure your existing unit is properly assembled , use the assembly as a template to aid in fabricating the alignment tool, so that if you take one apart you can be sure your tool will line it up again.. Looks to me if you have the basic shop tools, one could be fabricated out of aluminum billet, or possibly even a solid chunk of plastic (or mold a framework and fabricate one from carbon fiber body patch kit) ? all it does from appearances is it uses the axle shaft to ensure the other shaft is properly lined up before torquing down the bolts that hold the 2 sections together..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:21 pm

I was afraid I was going have to make another jig. :lol: It just it takes me a while to find the materials and weld up one. I think I just getting lazy.

Looks like I going to need to start learning to weld aluminum. ;) Oh well I have been looking into TIG welders lately.

It isn't like I haven't designed and got my machinist neighbor to make a PTO installation tool. I wanting to where I learned drafting. The only problem I don't know if the aluminum version is going to hold at 65 ft-lbs but I think it will.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby aj-allen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:34 pm

I made one from some tubing and a piece of snowthrower slide shoe I'll post a picture if I remember tomorrow.
aj-allen
Forum Regular

Postby aj-allen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:35 am

Here it is.

aj-allen
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:53 pm

AJ, So basically I am shooting a things to be parallel?
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:05 pm

That's be my take on it, KE4, from what I read in that tool instruction sheet and the OEM image of the tool being used, appears the point is to keep the smaller shaft lined up perfectly straight with its mating piece, which I imagine is also running parallel to the axle shaft.. so not just parallel but also lined up straight all the way around with the shaft it mates with, while torquing down the housing bolts of the 2 mating pieces.. (since torquing the bolts could cause things to shift slightly.. much like alignment pins would do on some ATV heads or cases, etc, except my guess is there's not really any room in the LTH unit to actually have alignment pins...?)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby aj-allen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:17 pm

the way I made this was to weld the tight fitting tube to the slide shoe slid it on the axle drilled out the nut for a tight fit on the control shaft clamped the two together tacked them and checked the alignment.
aj-allen
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum