• Advertisement

ultrasonic cleaner solution

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: ultrasonic cleaner solution

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Personally I have tried to clean any roller bearings in an USC but I don't it will them but bearing I see are already pitted from wear. I might it a whirl on a new bearing ball bearing here tomorrow and then look at the balls after a 30 min cycle under a 10X magnifier loop here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:25 pm

creia wrote:plotthound,
Welcome to the ultrasonic cleaner owners club! :D
After you have been using this for awhile, and see the results, I believe that *(like me) you will ask yourself, "Why did I wait so long and not get one of these SOONER!?" (that was 12 years ago for me), As far as what cleaning solution to use, you will get a LOT of opinions. For ME, it depends on what I am cleaning....
I have 2 ultrasonics: For small parts including carbs , I use the Design Technology , Inc. (DTI) solution ("Formula 202") in my smaller HF machine. It is a bit pricey, but works REAL good for carbs. For larger parts, like an engine block, I'll use Dawn dish soap in my larger ultrasonic. Remember to always probe/clean all of the carb orifices with wires of the appropriate sizes. (I have a set of torch tip cleaners I use for this purpose).

Remember, what ever type of cleaning solution you are using, you ALWAYS need to purge all of the ultrasonic cleaning solution/water from the exterior and (especially) the internal passages of the carb! I use a combination of compressed air and spray carb cleaner..
Michael

For cleaning carb orifices I also used the torch tip cleaners before i ran across these that are especially made for carb orifices and are dirt cheap. You can get a good feel with these because they do not have the cleaning ridges on them like the torch tip cleaners.

Carb Jet Cleaning Tool Honda Carburetor Wire Cleaner Set Motorcycle 14 WIREs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Jet-Clean ... Sw0vBUi4bi

You can find some that are stainless steel and cost little bit more, but I've not had any rust issues with the cheap version.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info and link arkie! :D
I like those and just purchased a set.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm

So it seems everyone has covered the topic well. So just to support the comments.... I have a small HF USC for carbs (and the wifes jewelry) , but never clean together :lol:

I use an oz. or so of Dawn with great results. On some of the dirtier ones I have used a product called Citrol (citrus based cleaner) again around a oz. or so with heat. Sure has free'd up some of my time and breathing a little better! :P
jwales
Guide

Postby bobodu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm

This should be a sticky if it isn't already..
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PtMowerMech » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 am

38racing wrote:I think there's another thread (or two) on this. Saw a video where fellow saves fluid by putting item in a jar of solution with UCS just filled with water.

Then run the dirty solution from the gar jar through a coffee filter, paper towel or a clean shop rag) back into a container (though a funnel). Reuse several times. And it's a lot easier to clean out the jar, than the US cleaner.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth"
PtMowerMech

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am

You should know a Gar is a fish and not a jar. If you put a Gar through a coffee filter the more power to you. :lol: But I don't think your customers don't want a fishy smelling carburetor.

Actually with the soaps that I use it isn't that expensive to just change the cleaning solutions everytime. I use Alcojet 1404 12.5 pH soap which is under $40 for 4lb box plus I also use Dawn Platimun at times which is also cost effective.

As for cleaning the USC I simply drain the tank and wipe with a paper towel.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum