• Advertisement

Acid filled battery, 12N14, wondering procedure..

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Acid filled battery, 12N14, wondering procedure..

Postby dart451 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Have some difficulty with charging a 12N14 tractor battery. Added the acid, let it sit for an hour or so. The battery manufacturer says it should be charged for 14-28 hours at 500 mA and 10-19 hours at 750 mA. Problem is, I have several Battery tender chargers but none that are as low as 500mA or 750mA. And, these are automatic chargers...they charge for a few minutes and then the light turns green. Certainly isn't getting anywhere close to 10-19 hours! What does one do in this predicament? Seems everything is automatic nowadays and at least 2amp chargers...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Acid filled battery, 12N14, wondering procedure..

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi Dart

Here's where you need a good old fashion trickle charger, one that doesn't have all this silly electronic crap in it. I have a battery charger that I bought in 1982, works perfectly for this. Maybe you can find a suitable vintage charger at a yard sale or an estate sale. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Re: Acid filled battery, 12N14, wondering procedure..

Postby bobodu » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:44 am

Stop worrying about it......I have NEVER been concerned over 100s of new batteries...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum