• Advertisement

honda generator surging

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

honda generator surging

Postby wrenchero » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:11 am

hello, i have a honda em2500 generator. it sat for a long time and i just cleaned the carburetor several times.i replaced the high speed jet with correct replacement(metal) and what i think is the low speed jet with correct replacement(black plastic).i drilled out the metal plug on the side and cleaned out the cavity and put a new plug.removed the idle mixture screw and cleaned.it still has a slight surge with no load.no surge when i plug something in to it.i guess i can leave it but it bothers me. i wish these carburetors were adjustable. any suggestions appreciated thank you
wrenchero

Advertisement

Re: honda generator surging

Postby RoyM » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:45 am

Hold your finger on the throttle shaft. If it smooths out the governor is too sensitive. If it stumbles and dies the carb is contaminated. Did you remove the nozzle and clean the holes in the tube?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby wrenchero » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:35 pm

yes i removed the jet and nozzle and cleaned out all the holes.
wrenchero

Postby wrenchero » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 pm

if the governor is too sensitive, how do i adjust it
wrenchero

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:10 am

wrenchero wrote:if the governor is too sensitive, how do i adjust it

Couple hints:
Do as RoyM suggests FIRST.
If then it seems to be the carb you can find a replacement carb for around $15.

If it's the governor sensitivity adjustment this adjustment is little more involved. (It's also quite common for the governor springs to weaken with age. Main thing is put witness marks where the spring is now connected or on the tension screw adjustment so as you can GO BACK to the original governor spring tension setting if things get worse during adjustment. A gen governor spring sensitivity is adjusted for what is termed minimal hunting (frequency changes) as the gen electrical load changes.

Get back to us and let us know what you determine during Roy's test. The engine should idle smooth when the throttle shaft is held manually to the idle position. If not the carb is still bad.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum