• Advertisement

Briggs Hunting

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Hunting

Postby Gerry » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Got a Briggs in 44N677 0005-G1 150720YG engine really hunting, air filter was a modified Kohler and hadn't been changed in years. Throwed the carb in the UC for about 3 hours. Done complete rebuild and welch plugs. All new gaskets, when I started the engine it was still hunting though not as bad. Confident in my rebuild I started looking at other things like nuff fuel in bowl etc. Finally decided to do a static govenor adjustment. Started engine ran for few seconds and the engine had a big gasp and hiccup and smother right out.

Anyone ever have that happen before, think the gov was a tad off after adjustment? Still starting and doing fine, revs up and slow down no problem.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Hunting

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Yes. Had surge due to needing static adjustment. At least one briggs manual recommends it after ant carb r/r
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:57 pm

I've seen it happen a few times mostly when the governor setup lets the rpm get to high. I recently had a generator where the governor setting was so far off it was floating the valves at top end and breathing exhaust back out the intake.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:12 am

Also with it appearing to a Nikki carburetor is the main jet tight fitting or loose?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:30 am

KE4AVB wrote:Also with it appearing to a Nikki carburetor is the main jet tight fitting or loose?

Yes its a Nikki and the main jet is tight.
Gerry
Guide

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 pm

See if you see your Nikki carb at this link.

https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

I recently had a Nikki carb that had been through the US couple times and still hunted and wanted a slight choke to get better and I finally noticed from looking at the Nikki in this link that the MAIN JET that is down inside the plastic tube was gone. (It has to be push out the top of the plastic tube aqnd it has a small o-ring that must seal good when the jet is re-installed.

Also look inside at the throttle butterfly and when the butterfly is closed you will se couple holes, one is a slot. The one with the slot has two itty bitty holes inside the slot. Take a tag wire and clean all three of those holes. If any one of them is restricted the carb will surge.

Just a hint. You can get a clone Nikki now days for about $15 from flea bay or Amazon. (china is getting little better at cloning carb's now days, but shipping may be slow due to covid. Just examine a replacement carb picture carefully for the throttle and choke match-up. Some come with a extra choke rod so as to maybe match yours and sometimes you can just use your old choke rod after pulling out the friction fit butterfly. Re-dimple the choke butterfly if it;s not a snug fit into the plastic choke rod slot.

Walbro LMT carbs will direct fit and replace some of the Nikki carbs. You can see them at the link.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum