• Advertisement

prices

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

prices

Postby 38racing » Mon May 25, 2020 11:43 pm

I know that we had a thread on price increases but I can't find it. I'm working on a briggs 28 OHV built in 1997. Although there is not a lot of carbon on the head or piston there is a good amount of side movement if I push on the piston. So I looked up rings for it. Ouch. Repairclinic is showing me $62 USD. +shipping of 12. Right now that's about $100 cdn. I see a set from amazon.ca at $42 cdn with free shipping. I'm debating on buying the amazon.ca set just in case I decide to re-ring any 28 OHV in the future. I just checked and amazon.com will also ship to canada but same price as repairclinic.

But then again I may never use them.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: prices

Postby Arkie » Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 am

38racing wrote:I know that we had a thread on price increases but I can't find it. I'm working on a briggs 28 OHV built in 1997. Although there is not a lot of carbon on the head or piston there is a good amount of side movement if I push on the piston. So I looked up rings for it. Ouch. Repairclinic is showing me $62 USD. +shipping of 12. Right now that's about $100 cdn. I see a set from amazon.ca at $42 cdn with free shipping. I'm debating on buying the amazon.ca set just in case I decide to re-ring any 28 OHV in the future. I just checked and amazon.com will also ship to canada but same price as repairclinic.

But then again I may never use them.

Yep, have to ask or check price on everything now days before taking the plunge.

Lots of surprises at the price of some items and have to watch out for the terms VINTAGE or ANTIQUE.
Seems when I'm buying it's termed vintage or antique (to mark up the prices), but if I'm selling the same items my items are termed junk by the buyers or lookers and they want to pay junk prices. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Re: prices

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 26, 2020 6:46 am

Yes the prices are higher. Even the 495854 rings they list for $62 @ repair clinic lists for $48 @ powerdistributors. Now of course I use a different distributor where my cost is $38 but only because I have a dealer account. Most online vendors are using list or higher prices. On top that these rings are probably imported so tariffs being added to our costs.

There is one fuel bowl that I use would cost me $99 if order it from Power Distributors but a regular distributor they were less $30 so ordered three on the last time I ordered them even though I don't need them unless a fuel solenoid goes bad.

The I main problem I am fighting right now is the ridiculous shipping charges. One distributor has free shipping on $200+ but eats me alive on smaller orders. I had to pay $30 on a $100 order before I caught up with them. Changed owners last fall so things changed without any real notice of rates. And what the shippers are doing right now they protesting for even higher rates in DC. Well I am protesting for lower rates by limiting my purchases to those free shipping levels. One of the last orders cost $45 shipping but the vendor had to to ship it for free because the order was $200.25. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. :lol: so I got back the shipping charge I got socked with on that $100 order.

Current my purchase from that vendor is 1/3 of what I did the same time last year. That is also my way of protesting the shipping charges. I using Amazon a lot more this year as total cost for some items is a lot less going through them. Not problem as long it not a rush order as a week to deliver is not all that bad.

I actually having to rework A&I price files here that I reprice my parts by adjusting them upward 10% GPM over their suggested list prices just to cover the shipping. An example is the v-belt I just brought with shipping it was $55 but had the price file suggested sale price at $50 so I lost $5 on that sale. I raised some questions on why it costed $16 to ship a v-belt with the distributor. All the one I was emailing said it is what it is but tried insist on me holding the prices as suggested. I can't.

Selling at cost is bad enough but below cost is worst. I don't know how we all are going to make it at this rate. The only reason I making any thing is the labor charges.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum