• Advertisement

SunStar with a Sputtering Kohler Magum 20 engine.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

SunStar with a Sputtering Kohler Magum 20 engine.

Postby dunoon2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Customer has a Simplicity Sunstar with a horizontally opposed 20HP Kohler engine. I don't have much experience with this engine. After running about 35min+ it will start to occasionally sputter and even try to die, if I stop moving and turn off the deck, It will sputter back to life. I'm trying to figure out if it fuel or spark. I know that in years past Kohler had problems with the ignition. I noticed at idle it surges, so something might be up with the carb. Does anyone have any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.

Rich Davis
3-M's, Mobile Mower Maintenance Service.
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: SunStar with a Sputtering Kohler Magum 20 engine.

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:09 pm

I'd start with power balance test and spark plug inspection - may be running on one cylinder.. if power balance and plugs check out, then a leakdown test on cylinders to check for loose valve seats (Isn't uncommon on aluminum block/cylinder engines) which can seal fine when cold but come loose when hot...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum