• Advertisement

Troybilt Auger Problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Troybilt Auger Problem

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi Again Lefty

Once you mentioned about the ends of the shave plate bolts being ground off, I realized that the machine was probably never set up correctly from new. Whether the machine is sold from a box store or local hardware store, the skid shoes are never properly set, unless the set-up person at the hardware store actually knows what he or she is doing.

Every year I see snow blowers come in with worn scraper edges, worn off bolts and cooked transmissions with the skid shoes having never touched the ground. I believe setting the scraper bar height on these machines is covered in the owner's manual, but who reads these anyway? If the machine has been riding on the scraper edge instead of the skid shoes, this may tend to push the bottom edge of the collector housing up. Just my thoughts,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Re: Troybilt Auger Problem

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:09 am

That makes sense. One skid shoe was toast and the other still had plenty of meat on it. And the shave plate was worn uneven. What threw me was the fact that the bucket otherwise appeared pristine. That one shoe saved it I guess...or maybe not. Time will tell.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum