• Advertisement

Synthetic or Regular Oil

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Synthetic or Regular Oil

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 pm

I don't know that I'm with you on the non detergent for engines. For those who care, Kinetics now has synthetics and semi synthetics. I use mostly their standard zinc-o-rific oil in my world.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:24 pm

bobodu wrote:I run Walmart recycled oil.....If I had a $40,000 engine it would be different.

right now in canada walmart has dirt cheap (relatively speaking) full synthetic oil and it even has the gm dexos label. For the straight 30w conventional I buy the walmart 19l pail.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:27 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Yes you want to use best you can afford but there is a reason for the use of non-detergents. You simply don't want particles that can settle out of the oil to continue circulating in the operating engines cause far damage. Detergent oils are use where oil pumps and filter are use just help the particles suspended long enough for the filter to capture them. Non detergents allows a mud of sorts to at the lowest point(s) in crankcase to remain there.

as per other thread why does briggs say to use detergent oil in engines without pumps and filters?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:54 pm

I don't know maybe it like the intake without metal inserts is the direct replacement for one that had them. Of course here I know all I got to do use the thread forming studs but many others don't.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm

bobodu wrote:I run Walmart recycled oil.....If I had a $40,000 engine it would be different.

For my old small engines and the ones that I'm going to checking to see if they are worthwhile as a fixer upper I just save my Non_synthetic automobile oil when I change their oil and re-cycle it through my small engines. Al Gore will like me for this. (I do change my automobile oil myself at not over 5k miles)

Fossil fuel (oil) is getting kinda expensive in my neck of the woods and I strongly suspect it's going to get a lot higher within next few years. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum