• Advertisement

Steering gear and anti- scalp wheel lube?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Steering gear and anti- scalp wheel lube?

Postby hanz63 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:58 pm

I seem to not be consistent on lubrication when doing maintenance. Sometimes I use a light chain lube at times to get some lube inside the steering shaft bushings, then hit the sector gears while I'm at it. I may brush some Fluid Film on sector gears if I'm say lubing a height adjuster knob. Or some chassis grease while I'm there. Most times I don't grease gauge wheels unless they are set up with a zirc. How many here do? Or even sector gears for that matter to keep from attracting dirt that will get ground in? Any comments on my lubes I use good or bad?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Steering gear and anti- scalp wheel lube?

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:45 am

Hopefully the "zirc" is actually "zerk" fittings.

Normally I don't grease these gauge (gage) wheels since they are not meant to used all the time even though some customers insist on using them 100% of the time mowing. They actually meant to prevent scalping only. Considering the amount of dirt and dust they are exposed to it is actually asking for more problems. I do replace quite a few of them and the related hardware but it is mainly from proper use.

Steering sector gear teeth I leave dry but do place some anti seize on the pivot points as I assembly them. Mainly to keep water out and keep the rust down.

BTW oil and grease does keep things moving but make one heck of a mess. It took nearly 4 hours to clean a Husqvarna under carriage last Summer where the owner ran it with a severe engine PTO seal leak. I was scraping off inches of dirt and oil. I got near two five gallon buckets full off it before I pressure washed the rest off. It reminded of those dump trucks I used to service where I had to scrape off dirt and grease just to find the zerks.

Once I fixed the other shop's mistake which they had the mower in for 3x for the same oil leak, I did find a second leak on transaxle.

Anyway others will have the own ways with dealing with these areas. It just the way I deal with them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum