• Advertisement

Never Seen One

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Never Seen One

Postby dunoon2 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:00 pm

Got a call the other day, a guy just moved here and had a riding mower he wants me to go through and get going. It's a Sears Craftman with a Kohler Vertical shaft, 2 cylinder, flathead, horizonly opposed engine. I've never seen one, seen lot of B&S like it, not my favorite. Has anyone had experience with this type of engine? If so, is there anything that I should know?
Thanks,
3-M's
Mobile Mower Maintance Service
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Never Seen One

Postby RoyM » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:42 pm

It's getting on in years, likely a KT17 or M18. Not especially difficult and most parts are available.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:49 pm

Yup.. if it is magneto ignition, most likely black paint job, likely magnum series - M18 or M20 .. However if it has an automotive coil that provides ignition, it probably has breaker points and is the KT series .. either one is easy enough to service, no biggies to deal with there .. Vertical shaft, probably easier to pop the carb off on those if it is needed... but make sure you get the correct spark plugs (they may differ depending on KT or Magnum, and they are taper seat plugs - not the RC12YC most other twins use these days) if I remember right, RV15YC was the champion number.. (same plugs the older chevy 305 and 350 V8's used... )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bluemower » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:10 pm

During the early 1990's, the larger craftsman garden tractors were commonly powered by the twin cylinder Kohler Magnum engines. Earlier models had the horizontal crankshaft. The vertical came next. The GT 5000 usually had the MV18s and the GT 6000 had a MV20s. These had cast iron cylinders that were bolted on an aluminum alloy crankcase. The engines had an oil filter and full oil pressure lubrication. Electric clutches were installed on the PTO. Fuel pumps were the mechanical style and were mounted under the intake manifold. On an engine this old, I suspect the cooling fins and fuel system will need attention. Check the air filter area for oil residue. Old age and ethanol fuel affects the fuel pump and fuel may enter the crank case and breather system. Also the fuel lines are routed under the blower cover and are most likely hard and ready to fail. Check the fuel hose between the pump and carburetor. Replace if hard. Replacement carburetors are no longer available. I believe production ended around 1997 and installation of the command series began. This was a long life, heavy duty engine.
bluemower
Guide

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:48 pm

and I''ve seen some of them old Kohlers that Bubba had installed a standard automotive coil and the points would fail due to too much current because the old Kohler coils had the ballast resistor built into their coils.

I would find the model number of that rig and see if I could download a free service manual and have it ready for reference. You will probably find that you need both the Kohlers engine manual and the tractor manual to cover all bases.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum