• Advertisement

Onan 220P

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Onan 220P

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 pm

I came across a brand new complete Onan P220 . It goes in a 1990 Toro Wheel horse mower but can be used in most anything I would think, maybe a sawmill ? ( 1 and 1/8th key way shaft )
This engine was kept in a climate control basement since it was bought new.
I don't have a clue what I will do with this but I like old engines and this 20 hp seems strong enough.
Will it be ok to run it a few minutes without exhaust pipes because I don't have them. I don't want to mess up these aluminum heads ? I removed the plastic plug where oil plug goes and put a new plug in it. Installed oil. This motor is ready to install in an old 1990 Toro Wheel Horse which I haven't found yet.
Were these engines any good ? This one was made in Huntsville Al and I was told that plant closed in 1997. It seems parts are still available .
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Onan 220P

Postby RoyM » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:46 pm

Onan engines are legendary, it will run forever with reasonable care. You will likely expire before it does. Fire it up, a few minutes with no pipes will not hurt anything except your ears.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 am

Just check the ignition coil, and if it mounts down into the blower housing, consider possibly some sort of modification to add more cooling to it or bring it away from engine heat.. they do last a very long time but the electronic ignition coil has had enough problems that Onan put out a service kit coil for them, it is a new coil and new bracket that slightly re-locates the coil further away from the engine heat... but that kit was *expensive* last time I had to get one - nearly $285 USD. But as Roy said.. that onan will outlive you if well maintained (and probably your heirs too) I have had them to work on that had over 6,000 original hours and still burned very little oil, ran beautifully (until it came into the shop that one time because the throttle valve was starting to get a little bit wobbly, and owner wanted it replaced) Owner did all his own maintenance (Former aircraft mechanic) (and yes it was a Wheel Horse, 1989 model year, and the tractor looked like it had just come off the showroom floor even in 2012 when I had it in to work on)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for the coil tip. It does indeed set down in engine where I see it could get hot. I am not ever sure what I am planning on doing with this engine. I just needed some history on it and as I thought it is a good engine. I see where rebuilt engines are also costly. I think this engine would run a small sawmill which is popular now being lumber is high.
I have a plastic gas tank I saved off an old pressure washer. Rigged it up today and let it gravity feed to carburetor.

Put a 12 volt batter using jumper cables to starter and used my remote starter I connected a jump wire to hot wire to plus side of coil and fired it up. I only ran it for a minute and like RoyM said it is loud with a muffler.

I check compression on both cylinders and it was 110 on both. Manual says from 75 to 120 so I am good. I just sometimes worry about an engine sitting this long without use .
I would sell it but shipping would be very high as this thing is heavy. Wish I could find an old Wheel Horse that needs an engine close by .
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:03 pm

jerkputter123 wrote: Wish I could find an old Wheel Horse that needs an engine close by .
this engine will also fit some John Deere - notably anywhere that a Kohler KT twin opposed might have fit in. Can also fit in where a Briggs twin opposed was placed, but those, you may need to find a different pulley, as the Briggs engines never came with 1-1/8 cranks (the wheel horses that used Briggs engines had a special thrust bearing and adapter sleeve for the PTO side, and required a special setup process if the pulley was ever removed or loosened)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 pm

bgsengine wrote:
jerkputter123 wrote: Wish I could find an old Wheel Horse that needs an engine close by .
this engine will also fit some John Deere - notably anywhere that a Kohler KT twin opposed might have fit in. Can also fit in where a Briggs twin opposed was placed, but those, you may need to find a different pulley, as the Briggs engines never came with 1-1/8 cranks (the wheel horses that used Briggs engines had a special thrust bearing and adapter sleeve for the PTO side, and required a special setup process if the pulley was ever removed or loosened)

Thanks, that should help. This engine should be worth something even though it is 31 years old.
I also agree that it will outlive me if taken care of. :D :D I turn 74 in two months.
jerkputter123
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum