• Advertisement

McCulloch ProMac 610 confusion

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

McCulloch ProMac 610 confusion

Postby andytw » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:30 am

Firstly, apologies as this relates to a very old model of saw.

I have a McCulloch chainsaw, which I bough new a long time ago.
It is actually marked 'President' on the big label and the small model label says 600041B
The manual that came with it says PROMAC 610/650 so I do 'believe' it is a ProMac 610 20" though it doesn't say this on the saw itself.

Recently I ordered a new bar and upon inspection I see it is spec'd to fit a 610 and no mention of ProMac.
The bar supplied is actually a 200SLHD276 which Oregon do not appear to list any longer.

So what is/was a '610', is it different to a ProMac 610 ?
What was the 'President' branding about ?

TIA

Andy
andytw

Advertisement

Re: McCulloch ProMac 610 confusion

Postby bgsengine » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:37 am

Like with Homelite (which relied on the UT number) back when I worked at a Wheel Horse dealer (was also an authorized McCulloch dealer) in the '80's we quickly learned no matter what the pretty labels on the machine called it, you need the model and serial (especially the prefix) for correct parts lookups.. Both Homelite and McCulloch (likewise with MTD and other brands) may re-use the pretty "model labels" such as 610/620/650 and/or the ProMac designation (basically same saw as base model but with so-called "professional" grade features, such as more robust chain, etc) but parts and fitments may vary depending on the serial number prefix and "long model" on the labels. While I never heard of the President, I would suspect it was one of their "special edition" models so they could simply charge more money for the same thing, just by changing the paint color and labels on a few things.

As far as your bar, that is a D276 bar mount, which is obsolete now, Oregon consolidated things, but a D176 bar mount should still work (the last 4 digits of oregon bars are the bar mount code which determines what saws it can fit.. such as H009 being Husqvarna (and jonsered and later McCulloch, since Husqvarna owned them outright at one time) or D025 being Stihl's bar mount, and so on) the first 2 digits represent bar length, third digit is the gauge (.043, .050, .058, .063) so a 200 means 20 inch bar, .050 gauge and the SLH will identify the bar body design and chain sprocket nose pitch (if sprocket equipped)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:20 am

I actually found IPLs for 16 versions of the 600041 model series. Yours is listed as a 600041-02. It is a Super Pro Mac 610. Nearly 100% of the parts are NLA since the McCulloch company has been out of business for a very long time now.

It also appears to be the first in the series so the President's label probably was a marketing scheme and introduced in 1985.

IPL > https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McCulloch-Parts-Service-Repair-Manuals/Gas_Powered_Chain_Saws/McCulloch-Gas-Chain-Saws-Parts-Manuals-11-600041-02-PRO-MAC-610-07-90-to-Current-IPL-218689-02.pdf

Model Profile > http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/564ff25e56449e8c88256c2f001cd723?OpenDocument

If you are have carburetor problems the carburetor is a Zama C2 so a kit is still available as far as I know.

As for the bar as long it got the right tail config it will work. It does appear that you would need the full size 3/8 chain setup since the IPL indicates a 7/32 file for the chain. The problem I am having is finding the image of the D276 tail. I just download the most recent price file [2021-09-30] from Gardner and it shows the 200SLHD276 bar is still available with the last price change of 2019-05-02. Lists for $63.07. Just has to special ordered as it is not a stock item at my distributors.

And BGS what I am reading is the D176 would need oiling holes drilled to work as a D276. And there maybe a tail width problem.

Personally I haven't seen McCulloch chainsaw in the shop in a couple years. Even then I had to rob a parts saw for the fuel tank.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby andytw » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm

Guys...thanks for your most illuminating replies.
With regard ti fitment of the bar I bought I guess a good side by side comparison with the bar currently fitted would tell me if it is going to fit.
Interestingly, too, the current bar and the original bar are spec's for 71 drive links but the replacement that I bought is for 70 drive links.

This would immediately make one think the bar is wrong but as far as I can see at oregon.com all of the recommended bars for the ProMac 610 or the 610 are also for 70 links.

Thanks again, appreciated.
andytw

Postby RoyM » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:01 pm

It depends on who made the original bar, they are not created equal. 71 dl is not common.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby andytw » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:14 pm

RoyM wrote:It depends on who made the original bar, they are not created equal. 71 dl is not common.

The original bar was not surprisingly marked McCulloch and I was on 71 drive link from the start as there was a tooth missing which could be used as a marker when sharpening so I knew where I was. So I always replaced with the same.
It is only now that I have the new bar and it is marked 70 links that I have come to question what I actually have.

In the previously provided link http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ there is a bar fitment link, which shows a D176 and a D276.
I know that I always used to have a small hole to clean on the original bar and maybe the one after that so suspect that was a D176 and I have some point moved over to to D276. Seems to oil OK. The current non-original bar is a 200RNDD276.

I will go and have a look at the oil holes and how they lines differ and line up.

Andy
andytw

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi Andy

There have been a lot of changes in the chainsaw world since your McCulloch was manufactured, one of which has been the radius of the bar nose. The smaller the nose radius of the bar, the lower the risk of kickback. Although both bars may be exactly the same length and have the same mount, if the new bar has a one tooth smaller nose sprocket, that mat make the difference between the original 71 link chain and the 70 link chain required for the new bar. Just a thought,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Arkie » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

Also if you want any more info about your old Mac saw lots of collectors and Mac lovers hang out on this site.
Also if you check around or ask on the site they have a forum dedicated only to Macs.
A guy by the name of heimannm (also his user name) is full of Mac info.

Go here register and post any questions:
https://www.arboristsite.com/forums/chainsaw.9/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum