• Advertisement

Understanding champion 41351 generator wiring

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Understanding champion 41351 generator wiring

Postby 38racing » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:37 pm

Neighbours cranks but wont start. I haven't tried a good shot of carb cleaner or even checked spark as it's still on my trailer. I downloaded the manual. Couple wiring questions.
1. How do those transitions work for the low oil work. I see it has 120v from the generator.
2. The fuel solenoid on the carb has an open circuit in run but closed in off with the one wire feed direct to the switch and the other wire through a diode to the switch with the diode fed by the dcw circuit.
https://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/Champion-wiring-pv
Can any one explain the operation of thes 2 circuits?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Understanding champion 41351 generator wiring

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:46 am

The transition device I haven't seen before. Generator Guru just shows a standard Honda oil sensor device for that generator. It looks like they are sensing the alternator voltage so if there is a loss of voltage failure there it shuts down the engine along with the normal oil sensor.

Now the fuel solenoid circuit I have seen. They are temporary energizing the solenoid on shut down which extends the pin to block the main carburetor fuel nozzle or jet. They just operate backwards of the ones you see on mower engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:17 am

Okay I think I figure out what the transition device is by looking some the other Champion IPLs. It appears to be an over voltage protection device married with the Honda level sensor diode module so it is there to shut down the generator if the AVR fails and alternator starts to put out too much voltage. The module pn is 5.1810.000.

For parts goto Champion Power Equipment. Not the easiest site to navigate but works when you have the PN to search for.

Here is copy a Champion 8000w wiring schematic with the same device. It labelled as OVP in the wiring schematic
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:45 am

Well did this this makes sense?
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:44 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Well did this this makes sense?

I think so. I removed carb. All gummed up. There is soft gum on the pointed plunger of carb solenoid. I can push it down into the body and it springs back out . I assume I can test by disconnecting leads and applying 12 volts across them.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:05 am

38racing wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Well did this this makes sense?

I think so. I removed carb. All gummed up. There is soft gum on the pointed plunger of carb solenoid. I can push it down into the body and it springs back out . I assume I can test by disconnecting leads and applying 12 volts across them.

Are you saying when the solenoid is removed the pin springs back out when depressed?

If so then it is the wrong fuel solenoid as the pin is supposed to be retracted expect when voltage is applied then the pin is pushed out. The spring load is suppose to pull the pin back in on these. Yes 12v should work fine. Kinda makes me think someone installed the more common one used on lawnmower engines.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:11 pm

I'm sure it's original. Just finished cleaning it and i can also pull it out and it retracts. To test I would need to cut the leads or the plastic shrink over the connections.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:56 am

Ever heard of using straight pins the pierce the wires or back probing the connector housing?

I use a set of back probes like these here and straight pins just where I am trying to test.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 am

KE4AVB wrote:Ever heard of using straight pins the pierce the wires or back probing the connector housing?

I use a set of back probes like these here and straight pins just where I am trying to test.

Thanks. Found one on amazon.ca just sent to kids as Xmas gift idea.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:15 am

Sounds like you things under control. Just need patience learning something new.

Hopefully that goes better than the time I got my brother set of dies for cutting holes in gaskets. When he open the present he just threw them at me. He they were useless but I just added them to my tool collection and have been using them myself for making gaskets.

I not longer gift him any tools just gift them to myself. ;) I got a high leverage pop rivet tool coming today as one my Christmas gifts. The mandrel safety catch cup is something I just found out I need on the stainless steel rivets I popped this week as one of the mandrels barely hit my safety glasses. It could been my face otherwise if it was a sixteenth inch lower. It did put a good nick in the left lens.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum