• Advertisement

hard 9re) starting briggs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: hard 9re) starting briggs

Postby Arkie » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 pm

38racing wrote:60 psi after 5 recoil pulls.

So this is with the same valve lash setting as the 175 elec crank?
What did comp do hit at on the first one or two pulls.
Can you jump off the comp release valve push rod and test for 5 pulls, just to get an idea?
Appears maybe you have found WHY it's hard to start manually.
Can you detect any valve guide wear?

I did not read back to previous posts?
What is the manual crank compression if you set the comp release valve lash slightly past max specs?

In your prev post just now, why were you manually cranking with the spark plug wire OFF??????
And when you say prime/crank are you pushing a primer bulb or doing a manual prime dump?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:08 pm

Arkie wrote:
38racing wrote:60 psi after 5 recoil pulls.

So this is with the same valve lash setting as the 175 elec crank?
exactly. changed nothing. as ke4 suggested it's likely compression release working on pull start but spins out on the high rpm of the electric starter.
What did comp do hit at on the first one or two pulls.
Can you jump off the comp release valve push rod and test for 5 pulls, just to get an idea?
Appears maybe you have found WHY it's hard to start manually.
Can you detect any valve guide wear?
didn't check.

I did not read back to previous posts?
What is the manual crank compression if you set the comp release valve lash slightly past max specs?

In your prev post just now, why were you manually cranking with the spark plug wire OFF??????
because I have a lot of brain fade and never remembered to replace after compression test. lol
And when you say prime/crank are you pushing a primer bulb or doing a manual prime dump?

pushing a primer bulb

note I responded in quote above.
at further update. right now I am getting restart if I apy no choke and primer bulb twice. starts 1st or 2nd pull.
got 14" of snow but I can't test it. I can't find some parts that I removed. I initially started working on it at the church garage but then brought it home. can't find at home and today there was too much snow for my low boots to get me to the garage there. like I said, too much brain fade.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:09 pm

well I found the parts. been cold though so haven't finished it up completely. interestingly I came across this video. it's 3rd of series but he had what he thought was too much compression but he only did with electric start. Then he works on it and gets reduced compression still with electric start. all this in in 1st 10 minutes of the video
https://youtu.be/x1kpwtGKTHA
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:03 pm

so used it today to blow snow. cold start with pull cord was fine. ran perfect when blowing. after I finished I tried the 2 prime and pull procedure. no go. what got it started was prime about 5 times or so until vapour comes out the intake when pulling. the a few more pulls and it starts. wondering if I need pull the head despite the good leakdown and compression numbers.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum