• Advertisement

same mistake on 2 tecumseh carbs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

same mistake on 2 tecumseh carbs

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:49 pm

I've made a tow behind mower unit using 2 old 6 hp tecumseh push mower engines last summer to use at our large church property . Near the end of season one kept stopping due to fuel blockage crap in carb bowl. I took off carb and take apart to clean up everything. I found that the centre plastic nozzle didn't look right . I found bottom piece broke off so I replaced it. When assembling I found bowl nut didn't have room to tighten. I verified that bowl nut was correct part. Then I realized that the top o-ring was still in the tower making the nozzle lower. I then realized that my problem was that when I previously serviced the engine for use I had left the old o-ring in place and then added a new one. I must have not noticed the issue with the bowl nut and tightened it in until it broke the nozzle, creating the crap along with now out of place lower o-ring. So today it's running fine but it's twin on the other side seems to be flooding out. I brought carb home to service and found I had made the exact same mistake . Bottom of nozzle is broke. I've pulled a lot of theses tec nozzles but go figure that I messed up both of these. Anyway I was checking my supply of o-rings and I found that tecumseh has two part numbers,632547 and 630740. I'm wondering why. Supplier are selling one ring to replace both. My supplier is .50 cdn per o-ring. Here's some craziness
https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-OEM-Tecum ... B008TSXJEY
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: same mistake on 2 tecumseh carbs

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:54 pm

I couldn't locate the o-rings from my supplier but I had 2 oem 630740. The id on them was too big for the nozzle. I just used 2 from my o ring kit and they were snug on nozzle and in the tower.
The carb had manufacturer number 1916 but it''s not on the list at outdoorpowerinfo.
38racing
Forum Pro

Re: same mistake on 2 tecumseh carbs

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:15 am

I have three different o-rings sizes listed here.

• 3/32 x 7/32 (Dash 005) (actual OD is .241)
  • .114 x .241 x .070
  • .125 x .250 x .070 (Dash 006)(actual OD is .254)

Both of the Dash numbers are available through Grainger here. They are about .05 USD each but you must order a pack of 100.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum