• Advertisement

briggs opposed twin carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: briggs opposed twin carb

Postby 38racing » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:16 am

well I put the chinese pump on last night. Murphy came by to help. since main tank is a mess I used a separate test tank set up between seat and dash. routed line along existing line with shutoff and white filter. I started with carb cleaner but it only ran on it and stopped. so I poured some gas down into bowl and it ran longer but still quit. I decided to check my tank setup. I found no fuel would flow through the shutoff even when it was open. I replaced it and got flow. then I got engine to start and run fine. crazy thing is I took the first shutoff and attached it to another test tank on my bench and it flowed fine, even when reversed.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 am

38racing wrote:well I put the chinese pump on last night. Murphy came by to help. since main tank is a mess I used a separate test tank set up between seat and dash. routed line along existing line with shutoff and white filter. I started with carb cleaner but it only ran on it and stopped. so I poured some gas down into bowl and it ran longer but still quit. I decided to check my tank setup. I found no fuel would flow through the shutoff even when it was open. I replaced it and got flow. then I got engine to start and run fine. crazy thing is I took the first shutoff and attached it to another test tank on my bench and it flowed fine, even when reversed.

I'd have been checking the fuel line itself for possible ply separation internally - inner rubber ply can separate (especially when plugging in a filter or fitting, etc) and block off the line - can also build up fuel bubble through a pinhole somewhere in the line, then either under fuel pump pressure (typically only between pump and carb) or temperature changes (fuel expansion) that gas can swell out the fuel line until it chokes off flow. That is why I had a shop policy to always replace fuel lines (if a known prior service, every 2 years, if unknown prior service, then at that time... Fuel line was cheap insurance!)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:21 am

Did you have to remove the front off the old 4 screw pump and cut off the flapper valves or get a pump through W/O opening up the pump?

Reason I ask is sometimes I can get a bypass on the carb mounted pump to the carb without opening up the pump.

Good to see that Murphy also visits other's. I was beginning to suspect he only visited me. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:40 pm

bgsengine wrote:
38racing wrote:well I put the chinese pump on last night. Murphy came by to help. since main tank is a mess I used a separate test tank set up between seat and dash. routed line along existing line with shutoff and white filter. I started with carb cleaner but it only ran on it and stopped. so I poured some gas down into bowl and it ran longer but still quit. I decided to check my tank setup. I found no fuel would flow through the shutoff even when it was open. I replaced it and got flow. then I got engine to start and run fine. crazy thing is I took the first shutoff and attached it to another test tank on my bench and it flowed fine, even when reversed.

I'd have been checking the fuel line itself for possible ply separation internally - inner rubber ply can separate (especially when plugging in a filter or fitting, etc) and block off the line - can also build up fuel bubble through a pinhole somewhere in the line, then either under fuel pump pressure (typically only between pump and carb) or temperature changes (fuel expansion) that gas can swell out the fuel line until it chokes off flow. That is why I had a shop policy to always replace fuel lines (if a known prior service, every 2 years, if unknown prior service, then at that time... Fuel line was cheap insurance!)

All fuel line was new. That's why I am puzzled. Unless something from the test tank got into the first shutoff and then somehow fell out when I was examining it. I tried passing a small wire through it and when it failed to go I figured it was a defective unit that wasn't opening but wire wouldn't pass 2nd one which passed fuel fine.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:52 pm

Arkie wrote:Did you have to remove the front off the old 4 screw pump and cut off the flapper valves or get a pump through W/O opening up the pump?

Reason I ask is sometimes I can get a bypass on the carb mounted pump to the carb without opening up the pump.

Good to see that Murphy also visits other's. I was beginning to suspect he only visited me. ;)

fuel flow issue was with the new carb. Not sure if Murphy or just me but doing stupid things lately. Neighbour's push mower flooded. When I drained the gas oil mixture I poured it into a gas can of good expensive gas. Two cans beside each other. Bad gas can has a black tie on the handle for identification but I still messed up. Tried to pull out roots of dead shrub. Had heavy chain around it and then cloth tow rope and to keep my colorado on driveway I used 2 wide ratchet straps. Deep root never gave. Ratchet on one strap broke and put a ding in my tailgate. As my wife said, lucky I wasn't pulling with front hook or I might have lost windshield or headlight. So I decided to cut base of shrub down with chainsaw. Wondered why I saw sparks. Of course, I was trying to cut through the chain that I had left around it. Still looking for my nice tachometer.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:15 pm

Arkie wrote:Very unusual for the old 3 and 4 screw carbs to get lots of gas in the oil while running and the engine stay smooth enough to operate without the operator immediately noticing it flooding. If the float/needle stuck open the engine should have flooded immediately as a heads up.

I would think about looking close AT THAT ONE at the gas MAYBE getting into the pulse hose pump side to getting into the crankcase while running since seems to indicate he sees lot of gas in the oil before it got to running rough.
I use the finer white fuel filter on my old pump carbs.

Did you get your new to you 4 screw carb and engine going????

well I don't think his qas flooding after all. when I checked oil it was just above add and seem to be oil consistency. I found a sparkplug lead off of one cylinder's plug. that would account for the poor performance and he may have smelled raw gas going out the muffler. with the miss I also noticed some engine vibration although in checking mounting bolts they were pretty tight, didn't budge much when I tightened. so I changed oil and verified it's firigon both cylinders. will test cut tomorrow.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 am

If you happen to see Murphy please shoot him with the biggest gun you have. I tried but he ducked the shot and then he left. But I think have a whole a lot of his relatives around and they are name Murphy.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum