• Advertisement

briggs sump bolt pattern

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

briggs sump bolt pattern

Postby 38racing » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:03 pm

I was sure I had the tightening pattern when i did 28 series l heads but i just looked at every page of 270962 manual and i don't see it. maybe i used the pattern for 28 ohv. i was looking for it for 12 series l head
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: briggs sump bolt pattern

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:13 am

I haven't seen anything either. So without a pattern I would use a criss cross pattern using three step torquing method when torquing down the sump. At least that will insure an even torquing of the sump.

Ohv 28 might be the same gasket but I have seen a L-head 28 in a long time here. Nor have I been inside an Ohv 28 quite a few years so I am of no help here. And there no patterns in the Repairman's Handbook either, as I went thru that manual last night.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: briggs sump bolt pattern

Postby Arkie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:07 am

As KE4AVB says

I sometimes have to go to similar Briggs models service manual and instead of looking at the engine assembly section go to the Governor controls service section to find the criss cross sequence.

We know it's like a ritual so as to get the install of a sump gsket correct, if you have ever installed a new sump gasket and it starts leaking again afterwards, because WE KNOW that once it starts leaking hot oil just re-checking the sump bolts torque WILL NOT stop the leak. :( :oops: :o
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum