• Advertisement

Yardman push mower just won't start!??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Yardman push mower just won't start!??

Postby Arkie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:41 pm

60psi max is a concern. Since that is a OHV you can adjust the valve clearance out past max specs and see if the compression comes up. (Or remove the push rods one at a time and check compression, so as to disable the compression release) If compression is less than 80 with the compression release disabled it will be hard to start
Setting the valve clearance out past max specs should raise the compression. Try doing this on the intake valve first.

but:

Did you install the $90 951-10309 replacement carb or the $15 clone carb?
You indicate it will start with starting fluid.

What if you use gasoline instead of the starting fluid as a primer?
If using gasoline does it act like it's flooded when it eventually starts?
(Does it have blue smoke or black smoke when it starts?
After the engine starts will it idle smooth if the carb throttle is manually held at low idle?

Some carbs have a big hole or holes in the choke plate. Trying blocking off the excess choke plate holes.
It appears the engine is very lean on gas for a start up. Make sure the choke plate is staying closed when cranking. Some push mowers have choke that only stay closed for few cranks of the pull rope. (manual lever type on the engine and no choke cable used)

AND
ALWAYS TRY A CORRECT type NEW spark plug gapped properly. ;) :o
Last edited by Arkie on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:35 pm

I can a test to that new don't mean good. I recently install a MTD carburetor that failed shortly after the customer gotten the mower back. It filled the crankcase full of fuel. And I had changed all the fuel lines and filter.

I got RBI to warranty replace it. I think it was a 4P90 engine (420CC)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:43 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I can a test to that new don't mean good. I recently install a MTD carburetor that failed shortly after the customer gotten the mower back. It filled the crankcase full of fuel. And I had changed all the fuel lines and filter.

I got RBI to warranty replace it. I think it was a 4P90 engine (420CC)

new don't mean good.

especially on the clone carbs and the Nikki types seems to be ones I keep my finger crossed when installing.
His looks similar to being the little Nikki type.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum