• Advertisement

Nikki dual throat carb re-build tips, old and new models

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Nikki dual throat carb re-build tips, old and new models

Postby Arkie » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:52 am

I have a pile of used dual throat used changeout Nikki carbs and noticed that one size does not fit all when attempting to re-build. The following info has some tips for the different types, etc.
Just sharing some info about dual throat Nikki carb rebuilding and different kits #'s required for the types.
Here is some info I stumbled across and saved in reference to re-building Nikki dual throat carbs, New and old models, 3 different (styles) models and part numbers of the different kits for each type.
Also stumbled across some of the little viton o rings for the jets in bulk. See last paragraph.
The two you tube videos are lengthy but are worth the time if you are wrestling with a dual throat Nikki carb.

Nikki dual throat carb repair/rebuilding links
Nikki dual throat carb tips and re-building LINK.
Guy asks about jets sizing and re-building a dual throat Nikki carb
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/ ... ets.29187/

You tube video part 1: (newer style aluminum float bowl Nikki) USE KIT 54832 @ $7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWul3T0fRE&t=429s

part 2 (older model with steel float bowl) USE KIT 54833 or 54834 @ $9 each depending on the style of Nikki. See part 2 of the video to determine which kit needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvnu_eEGXRM

search on-line for bulk o-rings:
VITON o-rings for Briggs & Stratton Nikki carburetor main jets rebuild kit or
VITON o-rings for Briggs & Stratton Nikki carburetor main jets rebuild kit for sale | eBay
Last edited by Arkie on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Nikki dual throat carb re-build tips, old and new models

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:39 pm

Now you know why carburetor pulled needs to identified and tagged by part number along any engine info that you have at the time. I do both Briggs and Kawasaki dual barrel Nikki carbs and this is important to have later.

It just like I tried to build a database of Briggs Jet PN to size we could easily change jet sizes if needed but no one here would help with the info gathering so my chart only covers what I used in the past.

I also buy the Kawasaki jet o-rings as they are the same as the Briggs ones.

Now you should be able to guess which handle I go by over there on the lawnmower forum.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 am

KE4AVB wrote:Now you know why carburetor pulled needs to identified and tagged by part number along any engine info that you have at the time. I do both Briggs and Kawasaki dual barrel Nikki carbs and this is important to have later.

It just like I tried to build a database of Briggs Jet PN to size we could easily change jet sizes if needed but no one here would help with the info gathering so my chart only covers what I used in the past.

I also buy the Kawasaki jet o-rings as they are the same as the Briggs ones.

Now you should be able to guess which handle I go by over there on the lawnmower forum.

Yes about tagging carbs by part numbers and engine. This pile of Nikki's was given to me plus other types in a tub and was change outs/dis-guards so that engine info is no longer readily available.

Do you have a chart of jet sizes you can share such as engine HP vs jet sizes?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:29 am

Arkie wrote:Yes about tagging carbs by part numbers and engine. This pile of Nikki's was given to me plus other types in a tub and was change outs/dis-guards so that engine info is no longer readily available.

Do you have a chart of jet sizes you can share such as engine HP vs jet sizes?

No it just by part number and jet size. For example if the carburetor is using a 113 jet you could easily use 114 jet if you knew the part number needed if you wish enrich the fuel mixture or vica versa if you need to lean the mixture.

It just small number that I have so came across but what I have is in the Briggs SM downloads under the title of Briggs Nikki PN to Jet Size. It does a few Kawasaki Nikki carburetor jet PN to size listed too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:19 am

I got that info from the Briggs sections downloaded, saved and printed. the print will go into the tub with the pile of Nikki carbs.

Couple questions:
See you have the Fuel solenoid threading as M8-1.00. Is this threading size the same for all the dual throat and single throat Nikki's. reason I ask is sometimes when testing I bypass the fuel solenoid but my stock of metric bolt is nil.
I keep a stock of the 5/16-24 bolts for the Walbro's.

Do you happen to have or know the jet # on your chart to decimal size for example a 113 #791501 jet to decimal size?
Reason I ask is I have a complete set of carb jet sizing tools for checking the jet sizes and also sets of decimal bits that I can use for re-sizing jets.
Reason I ask is I suspect that too small a jet size (or wrong size jets for the HP of the engine) is the reason some of these Nikki single and dual throat Nikki carbs run lean and hunt and surge, especially when cold.
I have sets of itty bitty drill bits for re-sizing jets on small engines during testing is also why I ask about ball park figures.

Thanks for the jet size Nikki tip:
I have not been paying close attention to the jet sizes of the different Nikki's and Clone replacements carbs.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:13 am

Arkie wrote:I got that info from the Briggs sections downloaded, saved and printed. the print will go into the tub with the pile of Nikki carbs.

Couple questions:
See you have the Fuel solenoid threading as M8-1.00. Is this threading size the same for all the dual throat and single throat Nikki's. reason I ask is sometimes when testing I bypass the fuel solenoid but my stock of metric bolt is nil.
I keep a stock of the 5/16-24 bolts for the Walbro's.

Do you happen to have or know the jet # on your chart to decimal size for example a 113 #791501 jet to decimal size?
Reason I ask is I have a complete set of carb jet sizing tools for checking the jet sizes and also sets of decimal bits that I can use for re-sizing jets.
Reason I ask is I suspect that too small a jet size (or wrong size jets for the HP of the engine) is the reason some of these Nikki single and dual throat Nikki carbs run lean and hunt and surge, especially when cold.
I have sets of itty bitty drill bits for re-sizing jets on small engines during testing is also why I ask about ball park figures.

Thanks for the jet size Nikki tip:
I have not been paying close attention to the jet sizes of the different Nikki's and Clone replacements carbs.

Jet sizes are in hundredth of a mm so it is 1.13mm /25.4 = 0.04448819 or (113 /2540).

And as far I have seen all Nikki carb solenoids are M8-1.00. And I had to buy that tap separately as it not in most die sets. Now metric screw stock a lot more. Mainly because I work on Kohler and Kawasaki more. And no locally stock anything much in the metrics. Most mine comes from McMasters since the local Fastenal closed down the public store front so I must keep them in stock.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:33 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Jet sizes are in hundredth of a mm so it is 1.13mm /25.4 = 0.04448819 or (113 /2540).

And as far I have seen all Nikki carb solenoids are M8-1.00. And I had to buy that tap separately as it not in most die sets. Now metric screw stock a lot more. Mainly because I work on Kohler and Kawasaki more. And no locally stock anything much in the metrics. Most mine comes from McMasters since the local Fastenal closed down the public store front so I must keep them in stock.

Got it.
Thanks
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum