• Advertisement

Mtd grease again

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Mtd grease again

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 pm

Manual for an mtd single speed transaxle says use mobil unirex n3 grease, part number 737-0289. Mtdparts.ca says no such part number. Google finds me no place to buy the unirex in canada. It meets
DIN 51825 - K3N - 20L and ISO L-XBDHA 3. Don't know if I'll find that on any other tube of grease.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Mtd grease again

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 pm

The manual I have here for the 700 series riders with single transaxle say use 737-0148 (10oz tube) which is superseded to 737-0300A (8 oz tube) which is Shell Darina SD2 Grease (14.1 oz tube)

The transaxle uses 20 ounces.

Shell Darina Grease SD 2 Shell Gadus S2 U1000 2 spec sheet
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

I've seen the darina before. Usual issues finding it. Mtd a bit of joke . Finally had online chat. Told me to source locally. Listed the usual places for grease. Said I couldn't find unirex. I said I couldn't find it. He said any brand if 'correct grease' . I asked him 'What is correct grease'. Never got a straight answer . Unirex is high temperature lithium bearing grease. Not for extreme pressure so I'll use that description. I asked him if new units were greaseless. Of course he said no so I asked for part number of it. He said, source locally.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 pm

KE4AVB wrote:The manual I have here for the 700 series riders with single transaxle say use 737-0148 (10oz tube) which is superseded to 737-0300A (8 oz tube) which is Shell Darina SD2 Grease (14.1 oz tube)

The transaxle uses 20 ounces.

Shell Darina Grease SD 2 Shell Gadus S2 U1000 2 spec sheet

Darina says it's the bent.... clay. Unirex says its lithium so I assume mtd has changed its grease.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

Timken says shell alvania rl3 same as mobil unirex n
Update: I looked up the Alvania rl3. Seems to be same as gadus 2 v100. And my local napa in canada appears to have it.
Update again: shell chart says not suited for enclosed gears?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 pm

I agree that MTD tech support is a joke but most the OEM tech support has become a joke especially Covid came and went. They hire people that has no business getting out bed lately. I also can't get straight answers when I ask for help.

It one of the reason we need to keep a professional forum going where we can help each other.

As for the grease I have use 00 grease in these units and haven't seen any problems. Just got make the case is properly sealed.

Here Gardner which was one of my main distributors change software about 5 months ago now and they are so screwed up they don't know they are coming or going. My orders are getting lost if I can even get entered my a sales rep. Her supervisor had to enter one for us and it disappeared. I done lost two Kohler engine sales because of them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:47 am

Just some general info about what I do for lubing them type lawn tractor transaxles.
On them MTD single speed FNR lawn tractor gear boxes when I opened them up for repairs (for myself) I just cleaned out the old caked/gunked up clay grease and repacked with EP2 wheel bearing grease, especially the axle bushing housing and the ring gear area. One reason that heavy grease is used, the axles tubes do not use any oil seals. It's common for the outer axle bushing to wear out but the inner bushing still be ok. If the tires appear to be tilted out at the bottom when viewed from behind the mower the outer axle bushing are worn out due to lack of lube. If not worn really bad the inner and outer bushing can be swapped so as to give good axle support at the outer end. Replacement bushing can be found if desired. Usually the inner axles busing are ok, but the axle support needs to be held to a minimum tolerance to reduce change of spider gear breakage I also have added little bit of 90-140W oil to the center housing area. Not enough to flow out the axles. I've also drilled a hole in the center aluminum housing and add little bit of 90-140 weight oil and then seal the drilled hold with a screw. (add just enough oil that it does do get about the lower level of the axle tube)
I've had really good results doing this lube methods.

I also suspect that the 2nd reason that MTD used the red clay grease that becomes hard packed is it allows the lawn tractor's wimp built single speed transaxle to wear out faster.

Summary: Most any type of grease lube is several times better than the OEM clay grease for this type gearbox. The 90-140 that I add is mainly for the center ring gear, spider gear area and shifter fork area lube.

Not a fun job taking 2 or 3 of those wimpy made gear boxes and making one. :oops:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I agree that MTD tech support is a joke but most the OEM tech support has become a joke especially Covid came and went. They hire people that has no business getting out bed lately. I also can't get straight answers when I ask for help.

It one of the reason we need to keep a professional forum going where we can help each other.

As for the grease I have use 00 grease in these units and haven't seen any problems. Just got make the case is properly sealed.

Here Gardner which was one of my main distributors change software about 5 months ago now and they are so screwed up they don't know they are coming or going. My orders are getting lost if I can even get entered my a sales rep. Her supervisor had to enter one for us and it disappeared. I done lost two Kohler engine sales because of them.

I read where others uses the 00 grease. Apparently deere cornhead grease is slightly thicker at 0. Interesting in that mtd seems to indicate a 3 which is considered firm. Maybe as someone pointed out they want thicker to keep it from seeping past seals.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 am

If the seals are doing their job then there is no leaking. What I have seen the case halves seams leaking where no sealant was used. I tend to use sealant on these myself and let it set up overnight before any operation.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:58 am

My dad would refer to this as a dog's breakfast.
Mtd says unirex n3
Timken says equivalent is shell alvania rl3
Shell (or someone says) alvania rl3 is now gadus s2 v100 3.
Shell chart shows that is NOT suitable for enclosed gears.
Shell says gadus s2 v220 00 is outstanding for enclosed gears. 0 and 1 are also acceptable.
V100 and v220 were both listed as good for roller bearings
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum