• Advertisement

Briggs snow blower engine

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs snow blower engine

Postby Dale_W » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 am

engine is: Briggs 20A114-0363-E1 Code 050 506 YE

A little history: during the winter of 2022-2023 somehow a LOT of water found it's way into this engine. and I mean a LOT. The engine would not spin, in fact, it would get about 1 rotation and there'd be a heavy clank sound from the crankcase. I had nothing to lose, so I drained the water, some oil came out too, and cracked the engine open. Turns out the push rods were pretty badly bent. I ordered and installed new pushrods and lifters and all the gaskets. Put it together, adjusted the valves, and it seemed to run fine. During the winter of 2023-2024 it also ran just fine. I should mention this snowblower lives at my sons house. A few weeks ago I picked it up to store in a pole barn for summer and sure enough, while no clanking, the engine is super hard to turn over. I drained the oil expecting water again. Nope. No water.

Could the valves be so far out of adjustment that it would be so hard to turn over? I should have pulled the spark plug but did not.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? Where would I look first?

Thank you

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Briggs snow blower engine

Postby RoyM » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 pm

Unless the push rods are bent again there would be no reason for the valves to be be badly out of adjustment. At any rate that wouldn't cause the engine to lock up. You need to do a little more digging. Did the engine get submerged again?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 am

With the previous water laden oil I would be leaning toward the rod/crank connection seizing. But that just an opinion base other engine failures. May not be the problem or could be worst.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Dale_W » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm

thanks for the replies. I have moved the snowblower to summer storage, so I only see it maybe one day a week. Today I removed the valve cover and pulled the push rods. The are still straight. Near as i can tell, no water intrusion this time.

Looks like on my next visit I will pull the engine and bring it home. When I get it apart, I'll let you know what I find. It will probably be a few weeks.

Thanks again.

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum