• Advertisement

Ryobi 700r Gas Trimmer Parts Help Needed

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ryobi 700r Gas Trimmer Parts Help Needed

Postby NO0C » Fri May 29, 2015 1:48 pm

Ryobi 700r string trimmer, 31cc, 15”
From the tag.
46A6987
(99)
904-7376603

I’m having a heck of a time determining the correct carburetor for this unit. What was on it that needs replaced is a Zama C1U-P12 with remote primer.

Parts information seems to be quite scarce on the net. The only thing I find is that it may be 753-04320 (Ryobi/MTD #). After finding a carb on Amazon the seller advises it is a Walbro and the picture makes it look like it might work for my application, but I hate to take the chance.

I do not know the history of this trimmer as it was a ‘you can have it’. Perhaps the carb was replaced.

Any help?

Thanks guys and have a great weekend.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ryobi 700r Gas Trimmer Parts Help Needed

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm

NO0C wrote:Ryobi 700r string trimmer, 31cc, 15”
From the tag.
46A6987
(99)
904-7376603

Almost but not quite what you need

On a small tag likely underneath the recoil handle area should be the actual model and serial number label

You need (unless you have amazingly good eyesight) a magnifying glass to read the ITEMID: which will be the MTD Model number you need for parts lookups.

There are over 15 versions of the 700r and not all the parts are interchangeable.

Carburetors (many of them) can be had quite cheap. Though 753-04320 is a Zama carburetor and appears to be a conversion kit to fit older models (Carburetor w/ Lines is the price file description) so it may be what you are needing, but at the $45 price point, I would want to see your actual machine's model number - It would look like : 41BD700G034
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NO0C » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

I took the best magnifying glass I have out to the garage.

I may have stumbled onto why the numbers don't make any sense.

And here is the tag.

I looked on the MTD website and I found 11 different listings for something with a 700r model number and found 4 different carbs used.

1. 791-182875
2. 753-04106
3. 753-04320
4. 753-04144 which supersedes to: 753-04408

Calling Ryobi and MTD was no help at all.

Yes, I found a 753-04320 for $29.99 FOB Husker Nation, but the seller suggests it's not a Zama, but he may not know whether he's afoot or horseback. And yes the line kit is included.

What makes you say that the 753-04320 is a Zama Carb?

Thanks again so much.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 pm

NO0C wrote:I took the best magnifying glass I have out to the garage.

I may have stumbled onto why the numbers don't make any sense.
Probably - that looks like the original Ryan/IDC/Ryobi housing before MTD owned them.. LOL! Probably is not, but is probably quite old.

Taking a guess at the meaning of the (99) - would be a 1999 model year (pre-emissions)

What makes you say that the 753-04320 is a Zama Carb?
Because it takes a Zama RB-29 Rebuild kit. :bricks: (evidently had one of those carbs in the shop before and added that cross reference to my data..)

Thanks again so much.

I would tend to suspect that with the probable age of the machine, it'd be less trouble and expense to scrap it - I would suspect that that particular machine won't even come up in online parts catalogs - maybe look for more labels- hidden away somewhere, or signs of one - the tag would be quite small - about maybe an inch long and 1/2 to 3/4 inch high - the MTD ITEMID model number on every tag I have looked at is in such tiny print - like about this: ITEMID: 41BD700G034
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NO0C » Fri May 29, 2015 3:37 pm

My magnifying glass was my camera. Aren't digital cams a blessing? I use it a lot as a crutch to take pictures of stuff before I tear something apart. It doesn't have CRS like I do.

I'm with you, 99 is probably the date of remanufacture. It indeed is old, but no whiskers and it can't vote yet. :D

Well I placed the order and I have spent $30 more foolishly and it's up to the PESTal Service to get it here. Hopefully the horse won't throw a shoe. :popcorn:

That label size you mentioned is approximately the real life size of this tag.

Columbus took a chance, so will did I. :bricks:

I'll report back. Even if it's a Walbro, I honestly believe it will work, given a big enough hammer.

Thanks again bgsengine.

EDIT: Seller informed me he did find Zama on it so it looks like I lucked out.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 30, 2015 6:23 am

When I did a Google search on the 46A6987 one of my vendors popped up linking the number to the 41DD700G034 curve shaft model.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Sat May 30, 2015 6:38 am

I saw that as well some time ago and it points to 753-04320, so I think I'm going to be in tall cotton come Tuesday.

Tnx and 73.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Well the 753-04320 showed up in the mailbox today.

Just as I suspected, the seller didn’t know his bunghole from second base. No idea where he got the idea that it was a Zama. The configuration will work, so I’ll slip it in tomorrow. It was in a MTD sealed bag.

The mixture adjusting screws are fitted with limit caps.

As you can see I got the one device that surrounds both screws off. Anyone have any tips to remove the ones on the screws themselves if I have to? The high speed screw doesn't even have an adjusting slot. Is it even adjustable?

Looking forward to your great answers.

Thanks again.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm

NO0C wrote:Well the 753-04320 showed up in the mailbox today.

Just as I suspected, the seller didn’t know his bunghole from second base. No idea where he got the idea that it was a Zama. The configuration will work, so I’ll slip it in tomorrow. It was in a MTD sealed bag.

there are a lot of sellers (mostly all have not been in this business long, if at all) who will tell you what they think you want to hear just to make the sale.. they could care less if it works or not, they could care less what brand it might be (and often enough the people answering the questions are un-educated low-paid flunkies hired by the "dealer" to manage their ebay store for them..)

- with the thousands of sellers on ebay (and Amazon for that matter) all selling the same stuff, it is difficult to find the good ones - the ones who actually know their stuff and send you exactly what you expect to get... I love the buyers that actually take the time to ask before they buy something and better yet the ones that actually can provide their model number so we can look up the parts and help them find the right part for their machine - even if it means we don't get a sale.. I'd rather lose a sale than sell something only to have to deal with returns or "it wont work" messages..

As you can see I got the one device that surrounds both screws off. Anyone have any tips to remove the ones on the screws themselves if I have to? The high speed screw doesn't even have an adjusting slot. Is it even adjustable?

Looking forward to your great answers.

Thanks again.

Have you even tried to see if it will run as is? If it fits up and runs right, adjusting the carburetor would be a moot point, no?

And you guess right - high speed is not adjustable - That "screw" is just a solid stud or plug that sits there to work with the low speed limiter cap. The high speed is fixed jet. - the "screw" won't even move.

as far as removing low speed limiter cap - they are just a press fit over the screw head - cut, peel, or better yet, a small self tapping screw threaded down the middle of the plastic may be enough to pull it off.. but as noted - I see no point to even bothering to try and adjust until you have checked to see if the unit will run with it as-is (and if high speed needs adjusting, may as well give up anyways)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NO0C » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply bgsengine.

Oh, I planned on giving it a shot before doing anything and thanks for sharing that the high speed side is non-adjustable.

Having worked in the parts business for 20+ years in a prior life, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you mentioned.

I have been very fortunate dealing online, not extensively, but I have never been stung that it ended up hurting.

Just recently I needed a new bag for my Lawn Boy mower and bought a 'new' one off fleaBay and when I took it out I found that it was new but had been tore and patched on the inside of the top fiber side. I contacted the seller with pictures and he apologized and refunded my money and said to keep it if I would reverse my feedback. The patch was pretty good and I added some sealant to the non-patched outside of the bag and it works great. Fully functional, just not what was advertised. Best buy I ever made :D .

Thanks again, this forum is great !
NO0C
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum