• Advertisement

MTD Decks

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MTD Decks

Postby rthacker7 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:44 am

I know an "F" deck is a 38" deck, G=42" and H=46". Does year model enter into the picture? What about Tractor model?
IE: Would a 1988 "F" deck be the same as a 1996 "F" deck parts wise, assuming MTD used a F in 1996?

I guess what I'm asking is " are all F decks the same and therefore all "G"s and "H"s ?
rthacker7

Advertisement

Re: MTD Decks

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:35 am

rthacker7 wrote:I know an "F" deck is a 38" deck, G=42" and H=46". Does year model enter into the picture? What about Tractor model?
IE: Would a 1988 "F" deck be the same as a 1996 "F" deck parts wise, assuming MTD used a F in 1996?

I guess what I'm asking is " are all F decks the same and therefore all "G"s and "H"s ?

No, not necessarily - spindles may vary, belt configurations also can vary, as can spindles, pulleys, and cables, and yes model year can be an important factor.
The deck size letter is just that - a size designation. although often parts are the same (the deck shell itself is often done on the same press) but they may vary the hookup (Suspension) mounting points, the gauge wheels (or lack thereof) and so on.. but they will have the same deck shell mold but different stuff may be welded to it in different locations, resulting in a completely different part number.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Second that. Don't see many H decks but both the F and G comes in several different versions.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rthacker7 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:08 pm

For example, the MTD 138-652-118/027c has a 38 inch deck (F) but none of the parts lists shows a deck. Finding deck parts is a effort.
rthacker7

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Really, the deck letter is just the base form they use in the factory - an "H" deck is stamped form the same form but it may vary by welding attachment points depending on the application - such as the 6-point lift/suspension common on older models, or the 3-point suspension using the 2 draft arms and one rod up front , or the U-shape front hanger rod - basically they are all the same deck shell form but with different attachment points welded to them for different applications and the parts put on any given "H" deck may be entirely different from another one - only way to get the correct parts is with the actual machine model and serial numbers.

your example is an old,old (Circa 1988-ish I think) model and will likely not have all the details in online parts books- so you have to search around for a PDF copy of the paper manual (owners manual usually) or you can find one from a relatively close model year in the same style (replace the -118 ending with other styles) - finding parts for those ancient machines is difficult and frequently the parts are NLA as well.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Weird that no ipls I found show anything but deck connection points. I have a accessories book for 89 and earlier so I will see if it has a 600 series 38" deck number. My 95 handbook might have something too. I have a 79 and couple early 80s with 38" decks.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:46 pm

See if this is your deck. It from the 1990 MTD. Covers the E and F decks. It the closest I have found doesn't quite match the Sam's Club mower ipl image but IPLs can fool you sometimes.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd/mower-deck-assemblies/130-432-000-mtd-mower-deck-1990-deck-e-deck-f/36-38-side-discharge-mowing-decks/
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rthacker7 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:35 pm

The deck in the link looks very similar to the one I got but not a perfect match. I found that link , or one similar also at partstree , yesterday and ordered
what I wanted. The link shows the same part# I came up with so maybe.

Always wondered why no deck was listed for that model, must be as bgsengine said just to old.
I thought maybe the decks had their own model # and I just couldn't find it.
rthacker7

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:36 pm

I have seen several older decks to have their own model numbers as back then there was multiple decks available for the same frame. BTW JD does this on some their mower decks too but most times they include all versions in the mower ipls. As in your case the mower could have either a 30" or 38" deck. If you look around the deck you may a metal tag with the model number. I kinda wish manufactures would go back these tags as those stick ons are easily lost or damage.

It is sorta like today's option of different engines on some mowers and tillers. My TB Horse had the option of either a Briggs 7 hp or Kohler Magnum 8 hp and some even had Tecumsehes. Currently I got all three here. One for parts, one that I rebuilt that the customer refused to pay for after authorizing the repairs and my personal Horse. All were basically the same tiller except for power plant at one time.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:15 am

KE4AVB wrote:I have seen several older decks to have their own model numbers as back then there was multiple decks available for the same frame. BTW JD does this on some their mower decks too but most times they include all versions in the mower ipls. As in your case the mower could have either a 30" or 38" deck. If you look around the deck you may a metal tag with the model number. I kinda wish manufactures would go back these tags as those stick ons are easily lost or damage.

It is sorta like today's option of different engines on some mowers and tillers. My TB Horse had the option of either a Briggs 7 hp or Kohler Magnum 8 hp and some even had Tecumsehes. Currently I got all three here. One for parts, one that I rebuilt that the customer refused to pay for after authorizing the repairs and my personal Horse. All were basically the same tiller except for power plant at one time.

Right about MTD/Bolens and glued on flimsy tin foil model and serial # tags under the seat frame. I usually won't buy equipment unless I can find a attached Model number especially MTD/Bolens due to the several different parts configurations, unless the tractor is dirt cheap and I use it for parts only. I've even had the glued on Model sticker come off while hauling their machines down the road and also the numbers or letters rub off the foil sticker when gently rubbing off the dirt to read. Maybe MTD/Bolens equipment is suppose to wear out and should be replaced before their Model number sticker deteriorates. (which seems to be true) not user friendly for finding parts for us fix it guys when model and serial #'s have evaporated.

:popcorn: :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum