• Advertisement

Gravely Model L question.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Gravely Model L question.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm

I have in the an old Gravely Model L that has internal break in the plug wire at the magneto cap. Where these leads replaceable or made as part of the cap? Don't want break it as parts are very rare for these.

The magneto itself is working with good strong just losing spark due to the excessive spark gap created by the broken lead under compression.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Gravely Model L question.

Postby bobodu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Fairbanks Morse mag? Never saw one molded in.....just slip onto the cover plate. Just like the old distributors.
Parts are NOT rare either. I have owned as many as four at a time...still got an engine on the shelf.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby HondaG100 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 pm

I have never seen a distributor or mag with integral wire but I may be to young to know. Some interesting reading about Wico on the web. Seems to be a few places that still have parts laying around.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby bobodu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:29 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravely-Model-L-Spark-Plug-Wire-Part-Number-1731-/310336374798
Be aware that this one may not fit the huge spark plug found on a 5.5 hp....
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bobodu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:32 pm

I used one of those mags to fire a spud gun years ago..... :lol: :lol:
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:33 pm

bobodu wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravely-Model-L-Spark-Plug-Wire-Part-Number-1731-/310336374798
Be aware that this one may not fit the huge spark plug found on a 5.5 hp....

"Huge Spark Plug" ? as in the 18mm Champion D18 (NGK AB-6) ? yeah probably not - The boot won't fit quite right anyhow.. (Take an exacto knife and slit it) - I still stock the AB-6 and when they dont get backordered, AB2 plugs (Lots of Farmall Cubs and Model A's in our area that use 'em) Oh they can also be found in some older Wisconsin engines

I have to agree, never seen a magneto with a spark plug wire molded in - usually they have a distributor cap of sorts (even though it is just 1 plug wire) - I have actually had good success patching those caps (they are obsolete/NLA on some Cat pony motors) with Hysol Epoxi-Patch.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:44 pm

This is THE GO TO guy for Graveleys...this catalog is also a handy reference book...
http://www.gravelyparts.com/richardslawn/layouts/02/skins/MainPortal/base/GravelySalesServiceparts16pg2011.pdf
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:59 pm

bobodu wrote:Fairbanks Morse mag? Never saw one molded in.....just slip onto the cover plate. Just like the old distributors.
Parts are NOT rare either. I have owned as many as four at a time...still got an engine on the shelf.

Hmmm. Must be rusted in as I can see rust down there. It is a Fairbanks-Morse Mag according to picture of the mag cover. Customer will be dropping off a Wico mag tomorrow sometime; meanwhile, I try soaking the rust loose overnight. BTW this one has 14mm CJ8Y installed. I got fairly good compression at 70+ psi so should hit on fuel introduced. The Zeinth carb is leaking after the customer had someone to clean it.

It looks weird to have 12V 1125 CA battery sitting on it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Must be a 7.6 hp engine then. Does the plug come straight up outta the head? Your going to study how to time that engine to the new mag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxKlaGkR_Vg
http://gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Model_L_CSD_19580301.pdf
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:15 am

The rust was the problem. Use the cable from the other magneto which is jamming; not tripping. It smokes at full throttle with a little more smoking at idle, need rings or it could be just that I have ran it enough to off oil residue. Idles a little rough but kinda expect it with the magneto setup and its age. Owner says it is an early 60's model.

Thanks for the manuals link; although, already found that one. There is couple questions though which is it 5/16 or 3/8 before? Most the repair manuals have it at 5/16" but the convertible 76 has it as 3/8. The other question how do tell which 7.6 I have?

Now to fuel leaks at the main fuel mix and the tank valve. Probably need dig out the old seals and replace with o-rings. Will see what all customer wants me to fix and what they want to do.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum