• Advertisement

More Kohler flywheel magnets

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

More Kohler flywheel magnets

Postby BLES » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Got another CH960 here and it has one magnet loose but hadn't destroyed anything yet. Anyone know what's best to re-atach it with, keeping in mind the heat in that area?
BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: More Kohler flywheel magnets

Postby bgsengine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:02 pm

BLES wrote:Got another CH960 here and it has one magnet loose but hadn't destroyed anything yet. Anyone know what's best to re-atach it with, keeping in mind the heat in that area?
BLES
Nothing. replace the flywheel. You would have to get the magnets in the right orientation and precise location and distance (air gap) to have it work correctly.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Hmmm. Still shouldn't be that hard.

Now the two Briggs flywheels I have here are 12 magnet versions with the poles alternating facing inwards. Now the old Tecumsehes had different magnet arrangement but even they would self align in the right direct as North attracts the the South pole. The last Kohler I had flywheel magnet problem with was before I became active on this forum so they could a little different.

As for cementing into place use the Permatex Steel Weld epoxy. Two versions out there. The thicker putty version with a max temp of 500 F and a two part thinner version with a max temp of 300 F. Either one should work. Use two non-magnetic spacers of equal size to center the magnet. To use either you must have every thing cleaned and ready as working time is only 4 minutes max.

BTW: I personally won't use anything JB Weld makes as I have never got any the products to work as advertise but I do have very good with the Permatex products.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:09 pm

On the other hand.. for the amount of time spent getting it positioned and clamped and cured in place , and then the risk of it popping loose again if you dont get it perfect (in which case you get to pay for the new flywheel AND alternator and possibly even short block) .. I'd call a new flywheel a cheap investment in getting the job done right.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:57 am

I found an image of the 6202503S and it show six magnets so it will be basically the same set up as the Tecumseh.

BGS personally I would not be afraid to reattach as I got confidence in my abilities and and in the Permatex products. This is probably because I have re attached Briggs permanent magnets in their starters before and haven't any to come back free.

Other than getting poles to orientate which wouldn't be hard since it is only one loose magnet. Really no clamping would be need as the magnet would hold itself to the flywheel just got space properly which wooden or non metallic spacers would do and aligning position otherwise the same as the rest of the magnets.

As determining the magnets polarity that isn't too hard either as all you got to do is a magnetize straight pin and use some sewing thread or you can just use a cheap compass. Once straight pin is magnetized and attach to sewing thread at the center of the pin then suspend the pin in front of the magnet and the pin rotate indicate which end is which when compare to the other attached magnets. Much the same way an emergency compass is made using the the pin and water. Now the 12 Magnet Briggs is different as the magnets will have either a North or South pole facing inwards instead long ways North/South setup. If you really need to know exactly which end of the pin is attracted to North then test the was as emergency compass and the South end of the pin will be attracted to the Earth's magnetic North.

I would however worry about the other magnets affixation since one has freed itself but that is only a matter of using a dye to check for poor bonding around the edges of the magnets. The same system I use for check cracks in aluminum heads and welds.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 am

I have concerns with bonding the magnet, as well as the other magnets coming loose, as you mention. Which leads back to replacing the flywheel (at close to $400 Cdn. retail), but it's these factory flywheels that seem to be a problem in the first place. Both of the engines I've seen recently have seen very little use.
Hmmmmm.....
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

looks like $350 cdn with shipping and hst at 77 cent dollar from repair clinic.
As you say $400 with the tax in from canadian source
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:34 pm

BLES wrote:I have concerns with bonding the magnet, as well as the other magnets coming loose, as you mention. Which leads back to replacing the flywheel (at close to $400 Cdn. retail), but it's these factory flywheels that seem to be a problem in the first place. Both of the engines I've seen recently have seen very little use.
Hmmmmm.....
BLES

Maybe somebody at Kohler is at fault using a low grade epoxy. Tried contacting Kohler to see they have a solution or if they have a service bullettin out about this.

It wouldn't be the first time or the last time for a manufacture go the cheap path. Maybe they are like me and got fooled by the promises of manufacture like JB Weld made about some their epoxies. After a few very bad results I have no confidence in any of their products. With Permatex Plastic Weld I have several JD ABS plastic hoods glued together. Two I know for sure have been together over 4 yrs now. The JB junk didn't even hold overnight.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 am

I'm going to try steel weld. There are marks so I can see the orientation of the magnet. Interestingly, the factory magnets aren't very precise at all. Varying gaps in the magnets are easy to see.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby Mr Mower Man » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 am

BLES wrote:Interestingly, the factory magnets aren't very precise at all. Varying gaps in the magnets are easy to see.
BLES

I noticed something similar on a Kohler 7000 series engine I recently worked on. I don't recall the gaps being different between the magnets, but some of them were definitely crooked.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum