• Advertisement

Old Murray 1984 model

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Old Murray 1984 model

Postby goulgetter88 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:38 am

So I have an old Murray. I believe it is a 1984 model. It has a four cycle 18 HP briggs motor on it. I bought it from a guy who supposedly fixed lawn mowers and he couldn't fix this one. I found that someone had installed the wrong plugs and it had screwed up the valves in the motor. I replaced the valves and got it running. I found though one running it would only adjust the idle speed when moving the choke cable in or out. Not when moving the throttle lever. It almost like while the engine was running the throttle would not move at all. Like when moving the handle the throttle linkage on the carburetor stayed still and never adjusted the idle speed. Any thoughts???
goulgetter88

Advertisement

Re: Old Murray 1984 model

Postby RoyM » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 am

The throttle lever or cable is broken. The cable could also be seized and kinked.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby goulgetter88 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm

RoyM wrote:The throttle lever or cable is broken. The cable could also be seized and kinked.

Its doesnt work with the motor running. Ive seen it work with the motor not running. Where would it be broken then.
goulgetter88

Postby RoyM » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:54 pm

In the control housing, it is a common failure.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby goulgetter88 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:36 pm

RoyM wrote:In the control housing, it is a common failure.

Ok so im an idiot. The throttle cable moves in and out just fine. The throttle linkage doesnt move at all. So what would cause the throttle linkage not to move. Could I have it hooked up wrong? I did have the carb off at one point. Could there be a spring problem? It feels real loose when you move it by hand.
goulgetter88

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:58 pm

You'll need to locate and post the engine model-type and date code so we can review parts diagrams and see which of many different controls may be on the engine.. That or you can probably snap a photo and upload somewhere, link to it in another post.. There's many possible versions of controls on these engines, hard to really say where your problem might lie.. without being able to actually SEE the linkages and control group all I could suggest is follow the action (wire, and what the wire moves, and what that piece moves, etc) until you find something that does not move and you think it probably should (or does not connect to the linkages) - could be a broken governor spring, could be a rusted or seized linkage, could be something binding, could be the throttle cable conduit has a break (so inner wire travel would be limited) - many other possibilities.. Its gotta be narrowed down a bit.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby goulgetter88 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:27 pm

bgsengine wrote:You'll need to locate and post the engine model-type and date code so we can review parts diagrams and see which of many different controls may be on the engine.. That or you can probably snap a photo and upload somewhere, link to it in another post.. There's many possible versions of controls on these engines, hard to really say where your problem might lie.. without being able to actually SEE the linkages and control group all I could suggest is follow the action (wire, and what the wire moves, and what that piece moves, etc) until you find something that does not move and you think it probably should (or does not connect to the linkages) - could be a broken governor spring, could be a rusted or seized linkage, could be something binding, could be the throttle cable conduit has a break (so inner wire travel would be limited) - many other possibilities.. Its gotta be narrowed down a bit.

I will get the model number and date code. Ive tried to post pictures and its not easy but I will get what I can.
goulgetter88

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pm

goulgetter88 wrote:
I will get the model number and date code. Ive tried to post pictures and its not easy but I will get what I can.
Numbers stamped usually on blower housing , photos - if you have a google (gmail?) account you can access Google Drive (drive.google.com) and upload pictures there and set sharing (Amazon has a photo app too now, just started up recently) or many other similar (OneDrive? I dunno) and then of course there is always imgur.com , or I suppose, even Facebook (Though you have to set the photo as public)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi GG88

One has to remember on these engines that the throttle control does not move the throttle shaft. The throttle control increases or decreases tension on the governor spring, the governor spring and governor then work together to move the throttle shaft. Do you see the governor spring length changing while the throttle control is being moved?

This may sound like a dumb question, but is the carburetor installed the correct way round? I have seen a carburetor installed backwards on an OHV engine before now. Once we know the model, type and code of the engine, we'll have a much better idea of what we're working with. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby goulgetter88 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Model # for the mower..3-39004 MFG date 0493 yes I know that this makes it a 93 I believe. The engine code stamp: model #4227070133 type 01 code 82121012

I hope these numbers will clear up somethings for those looking at parts diagrams. Ive tried looking before and could not find what I was looking for.

When moving the throttle cable the linkage doesnt move at all. It just sits there. I will try to submitted a photo or video.
goulgetter88

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum