• Advertisement

Tire Repair

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tire Repair

Postby lefty » Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 am

This may sound like a dumb question but this is the first time I've run across a rim like this. At least I think. Can I put a tube in this? It has an uneven cavity. I'm assuming I would want to mount the skinny side first when remounting the tire.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G6wL6fzkuzWgxCEr9
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tire Repair

Postby RoyM » Tue May 12, 2020 12:29 pm

That is an odd rim, a tube definitely won't work. Skinny side first will be a lot easier.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 12, 2020 1:36 pm

nothing unusual about that rim. I see them all the time for wider tire sizes.. Just clean off the rust, tire will go on skinny side first , then work in the tube, then other bead onto skinny side. Tube should be fine , long as you get the right size tube for the tire, and make sure the "natural" pointing direction of the tube points to the side of the valve stem hole. (if you put them in "backwards" tube will often "escape" back into the tire as you air it up, and then you have to stab a hole in to deflate and remove to fix)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 12, 2020 1:43 pm

24-12X12 Tire Rims?

I have a customer running a pair 24-12x12 tires with tube that looks like that. Actually it is a Hustler Super Z and not a JD mower. But the Chinese tires are a bit narrower than the spec so I have CRL-321370 23-10.50x12 tubes in them. Regular Carlisle 24-26-12x12 tubes bunches up in them. I originally had the 24/26-12x12 tubes in them but had a problem with folding so they look like they had a girdle around them and they rubbed a couple holes in the tube.

So yes a tube can be installed, just may need to one size smaller than expected. And as BGS the tube stems need to pointed the right and held until aired up fully.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue May 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Thank you. Want to make sure I understand correctly. The last and final step will be to install the last bead on the skinny side?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Correct - Just a rule of thumb: To install and remove the tire, you should work on the side that is closest to the smallest center of the rim - so the tire bead can slip into the deepest part of the rim while rest of bead is being worked on the rim - much less angle to work and thus, less strain on the bead belts, is what you want to aim for - if you try from the thick side, your tire is gonna be at a much steeper angle, and much harder to remove/install. When putting in tubes, soap things up, and be very careful that tube is not being pinched between bead and rim - (check all the way around as you work bead on, and do not stick your tire levers in too far)

Ive had days when I spent 3-4 hours doing nothing but breaking down tires and installing tubes (and air up just to seat the bead) for a fleet of tractors that were getting the tires loaded (calcium chloride solution) - got it down to such a science I was doing 8 tires an hour.. and now in my later years, with that experience, every time I need to do one, it's like riding a bike- you never really forget the skill..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Tue May 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Yes: You can use a tube but on some of those rims the tube's stem won't align with the existing hole.

as bsengine says you can gain lots of experience with those type rims plus other. Like learning to ride a bike.

I've done battle with those type rims until I got some sweat experience breaking down the tires especially on the long side of the rim. You will also find that some of the smaller rims or even rims like that one the existing valve stem hole will not align with a tube's stem no matter which way the tube is turned and if mounted the tube will not last very long, will ruin itself at it's offset at the valve stem. I sometimes drill a additional hole in the rim so as the tube's stem will align properly and sometimes this will result in the tubes valve stem being on the inside of the rim when it's mounted on the machine. (the short side of the rim is usually where the added stem hole is drilled) Deburr the edges of the drilled hole. I then remove the existing tubeless valve stem and place a piece of heavy tape over the tubeless valve stem hole. Trying to air up the inner tube tire using the readily visible tubeless stem will be a jaw dropper. ;)

Some of them smaller type rims are not easy to break down the tire on the long side of the rim.
I change my own tires and fix my own equipment flats but did not have a good easy break down tool for those type small deep sided rims especially the 8 inch and smaller sizes. I made few different size breakdown tools awhile back using steel pipe, welded angle iron and or old deep car rims of different sizes, etc. The homemade pipe or breakdown pusher sizes were just little larger than the OD of the tire rims and when force was applied to the pusher against the tire they usually pop loose but if not just give them a some persuasion with a tire hammer while under push pressure. The longer deep side of those type rims can sometimes really be a pain if rusted to a old stiff tire. The soft type ATV tires can also be tough to break down.

I've also found that lots of the inner tubes now days, especially the 12 inch and smaller are not really good tubes.
I have had good luck lately with Carlisle inner tubes. Have to pay little more but worth the additional cost. A $10 or more China inner tube installed in those type rims is not fun when going back and finding the flat is just the bad NEW China tube split. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue May 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Mtd put the stems on inside of front wheels on some riders. PITA.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed May 13, 2020 12:16 am

Hi Lefty

That looks like a rim from a John Deere Gator, and yes those can be little bearcats at times. You'll notice that the outside edge of the skinny side has a taper to facilitate easier tire mounting. The other side almost has a flare on it which makes it really difficult to get a tire bead over onto the rim. The design feature of these rims is the tire is installed on the narrow side, bead lube is applied to the tire and the wide side of the rim. As air is added to the tire. the tire slides along the wide side, then pops into the bead ridge.

If you are installing a tube into this tire, KE4 and BG have some good advice. Another tip that I was taught by a fellow in a tire shop it that when you are installing a tube into a tire is: Inflate the tire to seat the beads, then release the air to allow the innertube to relax and settle in, then re-inflate to working pressure. This helps to remove any unusually stretched areas of innertube which can become weak spots. I also make sure the inside of the tire is clean and remove any welding spatter from the rim, then give the inside of the tire a generous dusting of talcum powder. I think I'm using an old can of Avon Trailblazer talc at the moment, or is it Wild Country? I guess the fragrance doesn't matter, it just helps the innertube settle into the tire a little easier. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 am

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Lefty

That looks like a rim from a John Deere Gator, and yes those can be little bearcats at times. You'll notice that the outside edge of the skinny side has a taper to facilitate easier tire mounting. The other side almost has a flare on it which makes it really difficult to get a tire bead over onto the rim. The design feature of these rims is the tire is installed on the narrow side, bead lube is applied to the tire and the wide side of the rim. As air is added to the tire. the tire slides along the wide side, then pops into the bead ridge.

If you are installing a tube into this tire, KE4 and BG have some good advice. Another tip that I was taught by a fellow in a tire shop it that when you are installing a tube into a tire is: Inflate the tire to seat the beads, then release the air to allow the innertube to relax and settle in, then re-inflate to working pressure. This helps to remove any unusually stretched areas of innertube which can become weak spots. I also make sure the inside of the tire is clean and remove any welding spatter from the rim, then give the inside of the tire a generous dusting of talcum powder. I think I'm using an old can of Avon Trailblazer talc at the moment, or is it Wild Country? I guess the fragrance doesn't matter, it just helps the innertube settle into the tire a little easier. All the best,

Sky

Good tips...Inside new tubes are coated with powder to prevent them from sticking together so a little outside won't hurt. As for inflating, deflating, and re-inflating I have done this over the years even on regular rims and tires just to get the excess air out of tires as air pockets can happens on new installs.

There is one thing I do besides making the rims are cleaned up and that is to check the tire for thorns and other items sticking through the inner liner of the tire as they will quickly puncture a new tube.

As fragrances I haven't had any complaints as I use Cherry blossom scented soap in my USC and Lemon soap in my tire leak detection spray. Just offsets a little bit of the gas and oils smells plus it is welcome change.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum