• Advertisement

Kohler stator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler stator

Postby Gerry » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:53 am

Got another one sorry guys but electricity is no my calling. Working on a Craftsman 917.271024 with a Kohler CV15S spec 41567. Worked on it a few weeks back problem was no spark found problem needed a coil. Well its back again...same thing no spark. What I found was a melted spot on the shrink tube coming from the stator (with stator brake IAW wiring diagram.) This stator has 2 leads a black and green. At the hot spot a yellow wire has been crimped into the black wire and it looks like a diode had been added inline the black wire. The green wire is attached to nothing. My questions are.
1. Is that a burnt diode and if so does Kohler have a replacement. I cant find one using the IPL>
2. Assuming its a diode if burnt would it of caused the no spark?
3. More cost effecient to replace the stator vice trying to repair.

Thanks in advance.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kohler stator

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:00 am

Not sure how the charging stator affects spark and unless electricity from it some how got directed to the kill wire of the coil and fried it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:29 pm

hummm, To replace or repair debate. Well the stator for me $49 vs the parts to replace the diode $2. No brainer here but I have the 3 amp 1N5408-G diode on hand. Basically you can use the Briggs replacement 3A diode . Costs more but easier for the non experience to replace. The yellow wire at the diode is the AC circuit for lighting. Stator brake is optional and just depends if the safety is still in tack.

As the mower blowing a second magneto fairly quickly it might be a faulty ignition switch. I have seen some here that would monetary send a 12v pulse to the ignition coil, shorting them out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks, can the switch send 12 volts back to the diode? Also can the Oregon 33-415 diode be soldered in to replace the blown one?

Thanks
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Gerry wrote:Thanks, can the switch send 12 volts back to the diode?

Yes

Also can the Oregon 33-415 diode be soldered in to replace the blown one?
Thanks

Yes but i rather crimp it in place. Just the end connector will be different. The Kohler is using F56 (Delphi) Female terminals and the ORegon part has a Molex pin terminal.

Here is the wiring diagram.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 am

But if switch passed 12v to diode it would stop it from getting to stator wouldn't it, being a diode passing toward the switch?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:25 am

Yes. A diode is a one way street; although, there is a very, very, small reverse current leakage.

That why if OEM would use diodes in single cylinder magneto coils or at least in the kill wire connecting to the magneto coils they could prevent a lot of bad coils from accidental +12 volt being applied. Now they have to be reversed on positive grounded coils but there is not many those left nowadays except on antiques.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Well crimped a Briggs diode in, put in a new switch, hit the start and melted the wiring harness and several spots in the harness. :( :bricks: Guess its back to the drawing board.

Can 18 GA wire be used to rewire?
Gerry
Guide

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Are you sure it's the right switch?*
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Recommend 16 ga for most control circuits.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum