• Advertisement

Stihl SH55 blower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stihl SH55 blower

Postby BLES » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Stihl SH55 leaf blower
Won't start. When the rope is pulled, it blows fuel out the exhaust onto the floor.
Removed carb, cleaned, diaphragm kit.
Same thing.... fuel blowing out.
Help??

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Stihl SH55 blower

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:34 pm

BLES wrote:Stihl SH55 leaf blower
Won't start. When the rope is pulled, it blows fuel out the exhaust onto the floor.
Removed carb, cleaned, diaphragm kit.
Same thing.... fuel blowing out.
Help??

BLES

pull plug, turn upside down , crank it over (switch in off position) and let it drain overnight - probably got the crankcase full of gas.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby BLES » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. Will try that.
How does/could that happen on something like this? No float to stick in carb, tank is below engine...
I'll be a happy guy if that is the cure! :D
BLES
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:04 am

BLES wrote:How does/could that happen on something like this? No float to stick in carb, tank is below engine...

every carburetor has a needle valve - in the case of a diaphragm carb it's the metering needle (and the metering chamber is the "float bowl") and second despite the tank being below carb on these , remember they have a fuel tank vent that has to hold a small amount of pressure, and it is the nature of liquid gasoline to .. well.. turn to gas (vapor) which creates pressure in the tank as it does so - which then will push fuel out the fuel lines - pop the fuel line off on any normally running 2-stroke and you'll discover that fuel will push itself out the line, no matter how high it has to travel.. due to accumulated pressure in fuel tank ...

Long story short... metering needle leaked, carb flooded engine, crankcase fulla gas. can also flood out the engine if you over-choke it when trying to start - there were certain customers we used to have that regularly brought back their new (2013 & later) Echo or Stihl or Husqvarna with that same problem - cause they were trying to start with the choke on.. on a WARM engine.. and the longer it wouldn't start, the worse they flooded it (cause cylinder fulla wet gas that won't burn) despite me trying to educate them (many many times!) don't touch the choke, don't touch the throttle , just switch it on and pull the cord 2-3 times FIRST - many times (especially on the Echo machines) they were so well tuned they'll start at idle, no choke, cold engine with an easy 1 or 2 pulls of the recoil.... but those certain folks just would not learn and continued the "old ways" habit (open throttle wide, full choke, and drop start yank the starter cord as hard as they can)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby BLES » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts.
BLES
Guide

Postby BLES » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:27 am

No go.
Fired on about 2nd pull, but then plug is wet and lots of fuel again. This is with no choke. Guess I'll pull carb again.
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 am

Check gasket order, metering needle, and even a bad primer check valves can cause flooding. Also a partial block spark arrester if equipped.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:28 am

KE4AVB wrote:Check gasket order, metering needle, and even a bad primer check valves can cause flooding. Also a partial block spark arrester if equipped.

I have checked those, except primer check valve. Can you explain that a bit more? I think that may be something because I just pushed primer a few times and pulled rope and it instantly floods.
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:45 am

When the check valves are bad it allows fuel to back flow into the metering chamber which will then push through the mixture screws and the main nozzle. I had several bad primer bases this alone on Stihl Zama carburetors... Reverse pressure test the discharge line to the carburetor it should 5-10 psi easily, just don't over pressure test it. If it has failed replace either the primer base or the whole carburetor and since both must come from Stihl it is just as cheap to replace the carburetor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 pm

I got a carb for under 30 cdn at amazon.ca for my neighbour's stihl fs75 trimmer.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum