• Advertisement

John Deere mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

John Deere mower

Postby jerkputter123 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 pm

My friend has a 2018 John Deere riding mower model E100 with a 17.5 briggs engine. He bought it new and has 60 hours on it.
He was gone from 10 days and when he left the mower ran good.
Today he starts it and he told me it would not turn over, acting almost like the compression was too high. He said it would then start normal the next time he tired it. He also said it would backfire on occasion. He removed the spark plug and it spins free and fast. Plug looks like new.
He bought me the battery and it load tested fine. He said it would not do it every time. I believe these engines need to have the valve lash checked at 200 hours but this one is just broken in.
Serial # 1810131819121
Model # 31R9770063G1 Model year 2018
Engine Family JBSXS.5002VV
Any idea what might have happened ? Thanks and if need more info I can text him and find out.
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: John Deere mower

Postby hanz63 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:32 pm

It sounds from your description that the compression release isn't working. Off the valve cover should come, the studs checked for tightness and the valve lash reset. Unfortunately, I see more than I should of low hour ACR failures- which at the very least is a camshaft replacement if there isn't any other damage done.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:31 am

I 2nd that fact we see too much of a failure rate of the 793880 [84005207] camshaft ACR failures. It is so common here that I keep 2 camshafts and a set gaskets on the shelf at all times now.

Also this year have came across two of these cams with severely worn exhaust lobes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:13 am

What have they done to correct these failures ?

Will it do it again in two year or 60 hours ?

I do know what has happened to the Briggs company and it is sad.

I wouldn't even want a used mower with one of these engines.

I own a JD B110 with 250 hours and never once give me any problems. 19.5 engine. It is 10 years old so I assume there was not an issue with the ACR back then ?
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:10 am

For personally I have only seen two designs. One I have never seen a failure of and the other fails but what you, I, and others got to remember is the shear volume these machines out there and what we see in our shops are just he ones that fail. For it is about a 10% of the units that comes in with cranking problems that have a fail ACR. Other engines with ACRs do have failures too; just not at the rate these cams fail. As I said this the camshaft with the most failures here.

Like you the engines that I used have never had an ACR, knock wood, but it can happen the next time use one my mowers.

I just check my customer database of Briggs engines and I have 213 engines list with have of them the 31, 33 series engines with about 20 camshafts replaced in the last 5 yrs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby acscolo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:45 am

the ACR has failed. I had to replace two in a customer's machine a year apart using the OEM Briggs part. The third one I used a Chinese replacement. The Chinese one seems to be holding up better. And yes I keep at least 2 cams/ACR's with gasket kits in inventory.
acscolo

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 pm

He really don't have a choice. Its got to be repaired. He can do the job. I will pass this along to him. Thanks for all the help. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby hanz63 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:31 pm

When I quote these out, I leave the $$ open until the case is opened. I swear, 1 in 3 or 4 anyways has other issues. I've had two damaged oil pans and one block this year alone. The last I did the oil tube that goes in through the oil filter adapter was badly damaged. PD had no engines or sumps. I had no used sump. What I found is that tube is a match for the intake push rod. So I cut down his old push rod and peened that in place and installed a new push rod.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:46 pm

With Briggs in chapter 11 what is a good engine if I bought a new riding mower ? Maybe no such thing anymore. I got a 1991 Murray with the 11.5 briggs and its still running today. I work on ezgo gas golf carts and the Robbin EH295 and 350 are the best out there. The problem is they stop making them in 2008. They have the twin cylinder which was a great design.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 am

I try not to quote engine repair until it get checked out. Customers is always trying to pin me down on repair costs, I just won't let them.

Never know what you are going to find until in there. Like the Briggs 31 that was locked up until back up the engine then I could get to hang again. When in and found oil pump screen off, the oil pump Gerotor binding, counter weight plug bad and governor ready to fail. I even found the head gasket blown. This is something that is uncommon for me but it happens. Normally an ACR failure can take out the governor but most times I find the parts just laying the sump cover. I do try find all the pieces just make I get all of it out.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum