• Advertisement

Igntion Coils Causing Stress

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Igntion Coils Causing Stress

Postby bob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:34 pm

I have a John Deere LX176(Kawaski FC420V) with no spark with kill wire diconnected. I measured primary and secondary coil and they were not shorted or open so I was not sure coil was defective. So I decided to remove the the coil from a John Deere 160 ( Kawaski Fb460v) I had. The coil looks the same and fit with bolts and I new this coil was good since I had tested it with coil tester before removing. Put it in JD LX176 and it did not work either which was confusing to me. Then I put it back in JD160 and now I have is no spark there. So i have went from one dead coil to destroying another. What did i do. I thought I would see some type of spark by swithing them but did not count on destroying it. Are the coils that sensitive that a different magnet can destroy one. Should I have just ordered a new coil in the first place when I had no spark and not tried another which I now is not the same part but it is from the same manufacturer. Thanks for help

Blair
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Igntion Coils Causing Stress

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:15 pm

I guess that I would compare the part numbers for starters. Did both have an external ignitor and were they both the same?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:17 pm

might be a bad igniter? no idea if this particular model has igniters, but if they do, might be just bad igniter and coils are fine?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:17 pm

When switch the coils did you connect the kill / ignitor wire on the FC420? And then when switching the coil back to the FB460 reconnect the kill/ignitor wire to the coil?

And yes both these uses an ignitor (electronic points). But to be sure what is both of the engine spec numbers?

Plus if you got a pulse or constant voltage on the kill/ignitor wire it can destroy the ignition coils and/or the ignitors.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 pm

Sorry for delay in replying but having computer problems. No I did not re connect the kill wire back up. I thought you could test coil with kill wire disonnected and that would eliminate any problems from safety switches etc. Now I have John Deere 160 working again thanks to you but still have to figure out LX176. Is there any way to verify if igniter module is working other than ohms measurement
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Basically all you can do is to test that the igniter terminal is not grounded in the run position. Think of the coil like it is Briggs Magnetron coil. The only difference is that the trigger module is outside the coil and is replaceable.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:58 pm

BTW should you need an ignitor, those little Rotary modules work out real well.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Thanks Hanz. Can you be a little more specfic to what you are referring to
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Rotary 8786 Universal Igniter

KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Actually the one I've used : https://www.rotarycorp.com/product/9334
hanz63
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum