• Advertisement

Reliable/legitimate source for NGK plugs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Reliable/legitimate source for NGK plugs

Postby creia » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:52 am

Can anyone recommend a good on line source for NGK plugs? I have become concerned about how these are being counterfeited. Yes, I am looking for a good price as well. 8-)
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Reliable/legitimate source for NGK plugs

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:40 pm

I cant help there as mine comes from distributor which get them direct from NGK. Sure in heck don't to buy them from the local auto parts house.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:49 pm

It is generally somewhat difficult to get them reliably online, but if you know what to look for as far as counterfeit plugs, you can generally do a test buy from a vendor or two, and check their product against known reliable product (and product info) I believe I posted a link to a site that details how to identify counterfeit NGK, but I'd probably have no hesitation buying from a national chain (because they generally also buy direct from NGK too) such as rock auto, pep boys, napa, tractor supply, etc .. https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/products/i ... n-products they also have a where to buy , so you can generally have pretty good faith that any of those companies (whom are NGK approved obviously) will provide you a legit product.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:22 pm

I get mine from rockauto. I pay less than 2$ cdn per plug and even with shipping it's a good deal for me if I buy enough at once. I can get them from clubplug.ca here in canada but I still have to buy enough to get free shipping and at that volume rockauto may still be slightly cheaper. There is clubplug.net in the USA.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:41 pm

Interesting that rockauto is not listed on ngk where to buy.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:01 am

38racing wrote:Interesting that rockauto is not listed on ngk where to buy.

I am not sure on any of this, BUT.. if I understand things right, they built themselves ground up as an ONLINE auto parts supplier with no (or very few) brick & mortar stores, and the NGK Listing, I believe is or was meant to be for walk-in customers to local stores of those national chains, you might note that there are not any non-brick-n-mortar sources listed there. (Much like my, and many other, retail shops are not listed, despite actually being on their internal list of "authorized dealers".. In fact before business took such a downturn suddenly, I'd been looking into buying direct from NGK factory, as I was hitting near the purchase volume anyway at my distributor)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 am

Hmmm about forgot about Rock Auto. They are about .11 cheaper a piece on the NGK-6953 [BKR5E-11] plugs I got on my list to order for stock. But I don't have anything else that I would need from them so shipping would blow that of the water here. I got several Kohler air filters on that same stock PO.

Rock Auto is $1.56, RBI is $1.67 ea and Gardner is $1.80 ea. So Rock Auto has good prices. Just hard to order from them due my penny pinching as with RBI I am paying only $10.95 on my smaller orders.

I just got in an order from RBI had a couple Hustler belts, a Kohler voltage regulator, 10 Zama Syringes, and 6 Husqvarna blades for a total $133.93. Yes I know I can get cheaper after market primers but the last ones didn't hold up.

The Kohler regulator is the newest version of the 12/15 amp half wave one PN ** *** 35-S and was less than $10 (lists for $15.14) compare to the $46.61 (lists for $77.68) for the ** *** 37-S but it be while before anyone catches on to change of PNs. Just hiding PNs as some of us are stuck with older part and got to sell them off first. More profit on the older part but customers would insist on the cheaper one if they know of the option. At least I only got one of 37's left in stock unlike my distributor which has around 100 yet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:18 am

38racing wrote:I get mine from rockauto. I pay less than 2$ cdn per plug and even with shipping it's a good deal for me if I buy enough at once. I can get them from clubplug.ca here in canada but I still have to buy enough to get free shipping and at that volume rockauto may still be slightly cheaper. There is clubplug.net in the USA.

And that using your head as procurement agent.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:48 am

And I am in the same boat downturn wise. I went from $21K in sales back in 2019 to my current $15K. It looks to as bad as 2020 when I was $5K but with a better net profit margin. At least I have bottom line about the same as sell off my inventory at the current prices; just not restocking several items this year especially the Briggs parts. Until yesterday I haven't purchase a single thing from Briggs since the first of June, even then the gaskets came from Stens. That Vanguard will finished this morning.

With all the cross referencing I did last year is paying off too so I am continuing that. And McMaster is really helping on the screws and nuts. I just cant seeing paying 3 + dollars for screws from MTD or Kohler when I can get for under a $1.

With Briggs filing their bankruptcy last year the word has gotten around and I am seeing more Kawasaki and Kohler engines this year. Customers are worried that Briggs will go under all the way like Tecumseh did. Briggs parts is definitely getting expensive even through my distributor [some just a little and others a lot]. And things like having the 793880 camshafts on back order since April isn't helping. The last update was that they were to be in by 8-31 but they aren't here yet as they are still showing on back order. That Why I had to try the after market ones which are not right but can be made to work. I done had to install four them just the customers up and running.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Ke4avb
You might be surprised at how cheap rockauto shipping is. I can pay less than $20 cdn for shipping and the brokerage and duties and have stuff from California or Texas. Lot is from long island ny. I can ship a parcel next door in Canada for that.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum