• Advertisement

Cub Cadet engine swap IPL needed ???

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Cub Cadet engine swap IPL needed ???

Postby Arkie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:46 am

I have a Cub Cadet LTX1046VT, model 13VR91AT009 with a Briggs Intek twin engine.

Cub also made this machine as a LTX1046M with a Kohler Courage engine.
I have a good COMPLETE Kohler Courage engine to install onto where the Intek was being used BUT

Trying to find a IPL for a Cub that has a Kohler engine so I can do a Briggs to Kohler engine swap.
Need a Model number so as I can search for a IPL???

Anyone have a Cub Cadet LTX1040 series with a Kohler engine that can post up their model number?

or any hints as to how to search/locate a IPL of a Cub with a Kohler Courage 20-22hp engine???
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Cub Cadet engine swap IPL needed ???

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:05 am

The LTX all used the same wiring on the mower side so it should a direct swap over.

But if you want to look at the LTX1040M then use 13WP91AT009 as model number.

I use Messick's when looking up CC IPLs.

The LT series generally used the same wiring and here is a place has various CC wiring schematics.

https://www.ccpartsnmore.com/cub-cadet-wiring-schematics

BTW the Kohler on the LTX1040M is one loud engine when the muffler fails.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:06 am

I don't think there's much difference at all - pop one out, pop the other in, I believe the harness plug should match up (otherwise they'd be too inefficient at the factory) only concern might be whether the engine is of comparable age to the existing one, and spec'd for MTD products
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:22 am

kE4AVB & bsengine

I have not reviewed your reply info yet. (on another project)

Yes the wiring plugs look same. I can handle the electrical change over ok. I have to be more careful than usual because this rig has the electronic dash readouts and just need to do a double check before connecting so as to reduce smoke. Smoke on a digital dash is not a good thing. :oops: :o
Mostly need a IPL to look at part numbers then a picture so as to compare the possibility of having to make or do some bend adjustments to few parts/pieces.
AND the existing Cub Frame frame already has bunch of other holes for the engine mounting and most likely a different anti-rotation bracket will be needed for the electric clutch because the electric clutches are not same size physically. The bracket is a combo anti-rotation and pto belt keeper long with several bends. (and the IPL part number for the existing mower's bracket is not even correct) I also need to investigate the weird muffle mounting for these engines.
I have both engines mufflers and exhaust systems, but the Kohler exhaust came off a Craftsman frame. May have to do some exhaust re-rigging and throttle/choke cable changes.
Murphy seems to be around helping me when doing engine swap outs seeing the unexpected all at once during the finals. :o

Thanks for the info. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:00 pm

The LTX1040M, 13WP91AT009 does not have electric PTO

The IPL for the LTX1040M 13WP is MANUAL PTO. (maybe because it's a smaller deck (40 inch) than the 1046 series)

Really need a IPL or model number of a CC with a Kohler engine using a electric PTO in the LTX1046M series? :?:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:02 pm

I made a typo on the hood decal model number it is a LTX1046M but the only real difference is the PTO circuit. Use Model 13WP91AT010 (2011).
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:05 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I made a typo on the hood decal model number it is a LTX1046M but the only real difference is the PTO circuit. Use Model 13WP91AT010 (2011).

Found lots of Cub Cadet model info at this link at parts tree;
https://www.partstree.com/search/?type= ... rm=LTX1046

I just kept typing in different LTX1046 (had to not use any letters after the 1046 to see the older models with Kohlers engines that used electric PTO

LTX1046 made every which way in 2009-2011, Kohlers, Briggs, electric pto, manual pto
LTX1046KW usually indicates a Kawaski engine.
LTX1046VT Usually Briggs Twin Intek with electric PYO
LtX1046M usually manual PTO and most are Kohler engines

Anyway at this partstree.com link you can enter the Cub Cadet LT10XX XX and pick and choose a list of several model numbers so as to view IPL's and eventual owners manual download from CC.com.
https://www.partstree.com/search/?type= ... rm=LTX1046
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:04 am

Need Kohler Crankshaft length information:

I noticed on a IPL that the engine used on the Cub tractor LTX1046 is a SV590-0220.

My complete Kohler engine from a Craftsman lawn tractor with electric clutch and all is a CV624S 20 HP Kohler Pro.

Anyone know if the crankshafts are the same length on these engines? (or where I can research such info)

I've noticed that some Kohler engines used on lawn tractor have slightly different length PTO end crankshafts.

reason I ask is they need to be same length so as the pto drive belt will line up correctly for the deck drive pulleys.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:46 pm

I let you decide if they are the same or different.

SV590-0220 (CRANKSHAFT 20 014 47-S)

CV624-65578 24 014 42-S (CRANKSHAFT ASSEMBLY-USE 24 014 364-S)
Sorry that is the best image I have for this crankshaft
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:10 am

KE4AVB:

Been on another project and also did not get a sub reply notice email about your crankshaft dimensions post.

I finally found a CC 2009 model IPL (same year as this Briggs) using the 20hp Kohler engine.
AND
I was surprised that according to CCadet IPL's part numbers for the Briggs engine and the Kohler engine I just remove the crankshaft pulleys (both PTO and drive) from the Briggs Intek and install them onto the Kohler CV624S. :o :)
Both engines used the same part numbers for the engine pulley and clutch PTO. (shaft dimensions same on both engines)

Thanks for the crank dimensions post.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum